Lantronix gone mad???

Any Lantronix users out here? I was just wondering if I'm the only one who thinks they've gone mad with their latest Com Port Redirector and Device Installer. Those two utilities require .NET V4, which consumes a whopping 800Mb of disk space!! Idiots!!!

Meindert

Reply to
Meindert Sprang

Probably. But I don't thing it takes that much space unless you install dev stuff. Even so it is big.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Dickerson

th

ies

!!!

ev

Don't worry, the run time stuffs will eventually work into Win 8 or Win 9, so you will have them anyway. Except that you have to tell your customers that it won't work with Win 7 or less. Recently, i was told to port a package written on Win7/VC2008 to run on Vista/XP and Mac. I told the client it would take a few months, but I could set up a demo to run on a linux VPS, using Apache, PHP, mySQL and Ave-gcc. The VPS demo is almost ready, but the Window port will take longer and longer.

The client is open to the idea of dropping the Window port and just use the web service.

Reply to
linnix

Well, that is not exactly my point. I sell a small black box that combines data from 4 serial channels at 38400 baud maximum into an ethernet connection. Now I have to tell my customers that in order to use that little gadget, they need to install over 800Mb of software, only to be able to convert a TCP/IP connection into a virtual serial port!! I find that rediculous with a capital R!!

Meindert

Reply to
Meindert Sprang

If it's any comfort there's other software that requires .NET. Which is a pain in the neck. For example, Mathcad won't even start the installer if .NET ain't on the PC.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Yup. Marvell pulled the same stupid stunt with the installer for the program that comes with the eval board for one of their Ethernet switches. And of course the PC I wanted to install on didn't have an Internet connection...

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! PARDON me, am I
                                  at               speaking ENGLISH?

Even if it does have a fast connection, everytime I install one of those environments it's a white-knuckle ride. What if they screwed up and afterwards some essential stuff on the PC no longer works?

People have had rather nasty surprises of this kind after installing service packs.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

with

ities

ts!!!

New PCs. Isn't this the Microsoft plan?

Deployment system is always several steps behind development system.

Seriously, backporting is a big headache. My client's previous contractor did 80% of the work (and pays, I guess), using the latest and greatest VC2008. He quited when faced with porting window codes to other platforms (XP, Vista and Mac). My client is faced with another 80% cost to finish the job.

Reply to
linnix