NXP Gone mad

I actually put my money where my mouth is, and sent a message to support at NXP. As a re-seller of some NXP products, I felt it was the correct thing to do.

Mind you, I saw a webmaster address, but filled out the form for support, asking them to pass the message onto a person in a position to do something about it.

I figured if I sent a complaint about web design to the webmaster, it would fall on deaf ears.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

Again, I'm with you. Nowadays I address such feedback to "sales@".

Not that I moan much, you understand. Ho no.

No, really.

Steve

Steve at fivetrees

:-)

the response:

================================================ Hi Don,

thank you for your feedback. I have forwarded your mail on to our site design team. Whenever a company changes their website, there will be those that want things the way they always were. Thank you again. ================================================

so a waste of my time, well I tried.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

... snip ...

However I observe you are using OE, and thus, I assume, IE, on windows, with all their non-standard junk.

--

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
CBFalconer

I'm not so sure.

If "those that want things the way they always were", are actually sizable enough, then you WILL see some pretty quick damage control undertaken :)

Is it mostly the froth-nonsense that annoys customers.

I've bypassed most of the froth, and their site is still sluggish, but they've done another strange thing : Some PDFs are directly downloadable, and some are ZIP'd (?!)

- which slows the whole process down. Too mnay mouse clicks....

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

It is the biggest pile of shit web site it has ever been my misfortune to have to visit.

Using

will redirect you to the stupid bash things with a hammer site if you don't have a cookie to say you have seen it. Typical of some complete tosser web designer to force you view his creation.

Reply to
nospam

Why would you go to

rather than

Just to have something to complain about?? ;-)

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

It appears in UK nothing really happens unless you complain to CEO/Chairman of large organisations a sign of the way most organisations appear to want to distance themselves from customers. See banks etc using telephone centres that only can do a few actions. Let alone phone menus that only answer 3 out of 500 possible customer queries.

With the push to the internet based company, you end up with the same attitude of email forms, where you must use one of 10 subjects as you ONLY have one of 10 question types and not more than one at a time.

Most of the complaints appear to be what has been said for many years but made worse by point and click monkeys, who understand less and less about the implications of what they are doing. Usually because it expected that every user will be part of a large corporation using T1/E1 or faster link on computers that are chanegd every 3 months to keep up with the web developers.

All these points were noted for years see third URL in sig.

    PC Services
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Paul Carpenter

I think they have swappedd them around now... I went to

a few days ago, and got the flash cartoon complete with revving chainsaw sounds. Now this is at home.nxp.com (accessable from the main
page via the "what happened to our old website" link). So now the daft cartoon is the "old" website. Even though its called "next".nxp.com.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

On the otherhand the newish Farnell site pretty good, and fast.

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

Not having been to the site for a long time (since it was Philips in fact), I tried both. While the new-style site is overdone, with my setup (Firefox and 2Mb broadband) I don't get anything untoward, certainly no irritating chainsaws. There's not a lot to choose between them, and as the "standardics" site is simpler and loads a little quicker, it must be better. But I found that it was easy to get at the information, which is all that matters, on either version.

Paul Burke

Reply to
Paul Burke

Normally I would have started at

but I wanted a datasheet for a diode and the google presented me with a link to the diode. Clicking the link dropped me in that godawful page which then proceeded to raise the eyebrows in my office as a stupid chainsaw sound spewed forth from my PC.

However, it didn't return any of the info google promised about the diode. Once I'd managed to great rid of the moron in the green then I tried the sites own search which returned links to the datasheet. Clicking on the links just dumped me back to the home page.

I then went to alldatasheet.com, found what I was looking for and vowed to never return to that site. NXP might well have found themselves getting designed into a new product but if I had to deal with that site on a regular basis then someone else is going to get my business.

Reply to
Tom Lucas

Complete 'rep' bull... No doubt reps in other regions claim it is aimed at another region. A global company needs it main global part to be of global reach!

Some graphics designer sold the idea to the marketing droids, who like the fluffly nonsense and if anything was aimed at look what we can do, because we can[1], aimed at kids, other developers. There is no market segment, or type of people in business that are interested in kiddie games and animations, when looking for parts, whether they be building a tree house to a space rocket. Even the investor market gets fed up with the fluff is only really interested in the facts and figures.

[1] Remember www = Willy Waving Wars
    PC Services
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Paul Carpenter

"Grant Edwards" wrote... :

After looking at their sales, I think it also proves they have no clue what sort of products engineers like to use.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

You are assuming that those in charge of NXP's website want to do the right thing...

Imagine two groups of people at NXP. One group - let's call them the Veterens" - want a conventional website that is usable to every engineer.

A second group - let's call them the Ignorants - want the NXP website we see now ONLY because it's fancy and they suffer under the pathetic delusion that security-obsessed engineers will eagerly give away their mobile telephone number - because think that if they tell you that the number won't be used for any direct marketing efforts, that you will be gulllible enough to believe it.

Imagine the Veterens and the Ignorants at each other's throats because for the Ignorants, the customer is less important than winning the office battle over the Veterens. And the Ignorants are even more determined to keep the website the way it is because to capitulate to the engineer's feedback is to admit defeat to the Veterens.

Of course, the Veterens include the NXP engineers and FAEs. The Ignorants are a much smaller group, but composed of the top mnagement from marketing. The same top marketing management responsible for NXP's failing sales.

Does this sound like typical corporate behavior to you? Of course it does.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

good terminology Jeff.

that is why I attempted to direct my complaint to the Veterans, but a third party, the Innocents, automatically sent it onto the Ignorants.

I am hoping the CEO is in the Veterans camp, if he is in the Ignorants group, then my plot is doomed, and so are the Innocents.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

... snip ...

One of the favorite games here in the US is long lists of option switches. The minor detail is that the audio system cuts out, so the result is something like:

For option 1 ...... press 3, for opt ...... press 8.

followed by:

I don't under ...... please ..... option.

At least it is modern :-)

--

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
CBFalconer

thx you all for the feedback. We listened to your input and that from other users and we have removed the launch site (the flash movie) from the front of the nxp.com domain please keep on giving your feedback, since this is very valuable for NXP and NXP is listening :)

Chris

Reply to
nikao

Chris, I assume from your e-mail address that you work fro Trimm who are claiming responsibility for the Phillips Semiconductor website and I think I see where the problem lies. The Trimm site is also candy for graphic designers. There is not much substance to it and the Inquiro product wanders off into flash hell without explaining what it is.

Trimm's attitude toward web design shows through in your choice of language for this post as well. Internet shorthand is acceptable for some sites but would normally be aimed at young people and those interested in the following of internet fashion. Overly graphical sites involving flash and other frapperies also fall into this category.

Very few, if any, of the potential users of the NXP site will be in this demographic and are far more likely to be well into their 30's or older. This demographic is generally irritated by youth culture which is why they are not often seen on skateboards or at Puff Doggy or 50 pence concerts.

The site is technically superb and a lot of skill went into making it work well but at no point did anyone stop to think about what the customer might actually be coming to the site for. Certainly, at no point did anyone consider that getting it wrong could actually harm business.

Reply to
Tom Lucas

Wow - look at that :)

-jg