NXP Gone mad

I found his email in one of the postings here, and sent some specific/reproducible examples off mess-ups

But [michel rj claassens] email is a dot delimited one, so I'm sure that's all the info you need :)

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

Short answer: if it ain't in WinZip or XP's built-in file-compression tool, for the vast majority of Windows it doesn't exist.

Mac OS X, of course, being Unix, handles whatever you throw at it.

-a

Reply to
Andy Peters

Thanks, Jim. I found one for the office of the CEO (Frans van Houten) in one of their SEC filings and wrote there now. If that and your letter don't help, then I guess we just cannot help them anymore.

Before that I found the web site of one of their board members. It was totally flash-laden and not navigable at all so I figured that might not be the best avenue ;-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

at least you got a response from some one that made a difference.

this is the one I got: ================================================ Hi Don,

thank you for your feedback. I have forwarded your mail on to our site design team. Whenever a company changes their website, there will be those that want things the way they always were. Thank you again. ================================================

so I wasn't impressed. I did expect a real answer back from such a company.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

But did they make the site work? Nope. Not even the home page. What is it with these guys? It's not rocket science to creat a web portal that actually works.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Regardless, zip and bz2 will probably reduce the content size by something like 25%. Just try zip (or bzip2) on some arbitrary .pdf files on your system.

--

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
CBFalconer

I got an email as was able to do a simple reply, and that was seen and replied to.

I personally believe that he is fielding things quite well considering he is in the position of being the cashier at the car impound lot. He may well be on the web development team, but just like us may also be at times partly defending some decisions which were not his or his team's. We have all been in situations where someone higher up has dictated methods and/or technology routes to use.

Philips over the years has auctioned parts of it Medical Systems, LCDs and other divisions. So has other companies sometimes they are called partnerships Flash divisions AMD/Fujitsu = Spansion.

    PC Services
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Paul Carpenter

Maybe on some raw source. I just got 7-zip (as a result of this thread) and zipped one 65k zip file with it. The result was reduced by about 1k. Not shockingly impressive. Probably the result would be better if I 7zipped the original content.

--

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
CBFalconer

Why do you say that? All that is required is downloading the appropriate tool, uncompressing it, and mounting it somewhere, such as your \util\ directory. If the newbs can learn to download and start virii, they can also learn to launch applications. On this newsgroup there are not too many newbs in the first place, so I doubt that many Windoze users would have any difficult.

--

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
CBFalconer

... snip ...

This is pure silliness.

--

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
CBFalconer

Sure, but in a situation this bad I would see only two options if I were in his shoes:

a. Pull the web site and install the previous one, and do that pronto. A person in his position should already have that authority.

b. In case "a." doesn't work, quit.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Now I know never to take you seriously again.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Chris Hills

I have never heard of these formats before. I would not install any executables on my computers from an unknown site without some independent background checking.

In some organisations ordinary users are prevented from installing programs on Windows machines and even if the program runs without installation, the firewall may prevent downloading executable files. In *nix environments, building the program from sources may be a hassle, especially if you have to twiddle with the make files to get it to work in your environment.

Even if some new method would produce 10-30 % advantage in compression, the use of such method in distributing component data would be a suicide for the previous reasons.

PDF is a well known format with an optional acceptable compression. In order to keep the document file as small as possible, it is much better to avoid bad scans of old paper documents and avoid using colour pictures, in situations, in which a line drawing could carry the same information.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Keinanen

NXP has joined my list of companies I don't even bother to look at for parts until I have exhausted all other possibilities. Given that virtually everything NXP makes has direct competition (form, fit, function), I don't have to endure the pain of the site very often at all. We've noted that it's a shame when we don't buy their parts when they actually do have some cool stuff, but my bottom line is simply that I don't want to waste time making the site work when I simply want to find something for a design. The ignorami who guard the site design want their pretty flash, which I block by default (I use NoScript) so I don't even see the front page (or at least I didn't the last time I went to it). Why they want their flash is of course because the marketing department has decreed there shall be a singing dancing website and now they can't back down.

What's their stock price doing recently?

Cheers

PeteS

Reply to
PeteS

In article , Paul Keinanen writes

This is my point. The lowest common denominator for the widest possible number of people is Zip.

bzip2 might be the Best Thing In The World but it is pointless if comparatively few use it.

It is no use saying "it is better or people could down load it..." the reality is they won't

Being better is no indicator or we would all be using UNIX not windows or Linux, the pale copy of UNIX

ANY machines come to that.

I have this problem with several of my customers. Even the ones that only have one PC connected to the Internet but not connected to ANYTHING else in the company.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Chris Hills

Unfortunately we see that trend in marketing even at companies like National. Once I looked for a part at a client and suddenly loud music was emerging from the PC. Very embarrassing. What were they thinking?

But it sure isn't as bad as NXP. They really topped it this time.

No idea. Doesn't matter to me as I surely won't buy. Not until they understand how proper marketing is done, and get new web developers.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

... and while doing so, kill PDF's start-reading-while-it-still-loads feature. Too high a price IMHO.

There's nothing principally wrong with compressing documents for download --- but that should happen *only* for download, as an option choosable by the user. Forcing it onto users is a textbook case of silly user interface design. You don't punish the masses for the benefit of the few.

Reply to
Hans-Bernhard Bröker

What's the punishment? It downloads faster (smaller), and expansion is virtually instantaneous. It is almost always faster, easier, and less load on the transmission system.

--

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
CBFalconer

IMHO that's exactly what is happening at NXP right now. But not for file compression reasons. Most people like me (and clients) can't even get to where the files are anymore. So we just move on.

NXP should start printing databooks again. Some companies do not appear to know how to handle modern media such as the Internet. And I must say that the Philips databooks were excellent. So is their specsmanship but what good does that do now?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

This can be a bug rather than a feature. Older versions of the Acrobat browser plugin did not allow you to save the file. So it was very difficult to keep local copies of PDFs buried behind CGI scripts (i.e. where you could not right-click and save link as).

Reply to
larwe