RFID-Based Security System

Hi, I am not an electronics expert by any means but I have an idea which might work and wondered what you all thought of it.

My problem is that I have been threatened by various people for various reasons. We don't need to go into the whole story right now. Suffice to say, I have reason to fear certain individuals (whose barks are probably worse than their bites) and have been thinking of ways to protect myself, my family and my property from them.

Whilst I have an alarm system in my house, it only goes off after someone arrives and that doesn't give me any time to prepare. What I'd like is some sort of early warning system to inform me when they are on the way. The geography of the area dictates that they have to drive down a specific road, over a mountain, to get to me.

I know their vehicles and was thinking about placing some sort of radio transmitter on each one. Maybe I could have a receiver, tuned to the correct frequency, permanently switched on at my house. This would presumably start making a noise once one of the transmitters came into range.

There are several problems with this approach: to be any use, the transmitters would need to work over a range of at least 20-30 Km. My guess is that would make them bulky, expensive and energy-hungry. Whilst I may get away with placing a transmitter once, I don't relish the idea of going back to change the batteries every month! Whatever solution I implement, the power should last as long as possible - more than a year would be good. I thought about hooking into the vehicle's batteries, but that would take too long to install. I need something I can quickly stick under a wheel arch or bumper. And whatever I stick there must be cheap, so cheap that it is virtually disposable. I want to stick 10-20 of them onto various vehicles without breaking the bank. Ideally, they should cost less than US$5 each. Finally, they should be highly robust. Being stuck under a car, they will need to survive rain, dirt, heat and vibration.

All that got me thinking about using RFID transducers. They are cheap, long-lasting and very robust. The obvious problem is that they are low-range. As I understand it, the maximum range of a battery-powered UHF transducer is around 100 metres - not long enough to give me sufficient warning, but this isn't necessarily a problem...

As I mentioned before, there is really only one road to my house. My idea is to install some sort of receiver unit at the side of this road. This would be triggered whenever one of the RFID units comes into range. This still leaves the problem of how to inform me, 30 km away, that the unit has been triggered. I have two possible solutions:

The first method is to use a second, higher-powered, radio transmitter to send me a signal. It wouldn't matter if this one was bulky and energy-hungry because it would be fixed in place on a lamp post by the side of the road, probably with a mains electricity supply (although that may not be easy). I could probably arrange it so that this transmitter (or its antenna) has a clear line of sight to a receiver antenna on top of my house. This is helped by the fact that the road goes over a mountain. All I need is some sort of switch that responds to a passing RFID transducer by activating this transmitter. Ideally, to avoid false alarms, this would only happen if the RFID transducer belongs to a limited set of ID numbers - although I doubt there will be many false alarms for the foreseeable future. I would need some sort of receiver to sound the alarm at my home. This would need to make a noise continuously until it is switched off, a bit like a normal burglar alarm.

The second method is to use a mobile phone to alert me. Ideally. it would send an SMS (or several to various numbers) and/or call me and keep calling me until I answer. A possible benefit of using a mobile phone is that, if I use one with a built-in camera, I could also take some photos and send them via MMS along with the SMS warning message. That would be great. Not only would I have a 30-minute warning of impending trouble, I would also have photos showing me how many bad guys to expect. Plus, I would receive the warning wherever I happened to be.

My guess is that I could maybe connect an RFID reader to a PDA - which is programmed to send SMS messages/make calls via a connected (or built-in) mobile phone. This seems reasonably do-able, but I have no idea how to go about it. I have a programming background, but not in this kind of thing. I wouldn't even know what language to use. I'm also a bit reluctant to risk losing an expensive PDA in this way (but recognise that it may be a necessary risk and realise I could probably use a second-hand one).

Whichever method I use, I imagine the receiver unit could be housed inside a waterproof container and secured to a lamp post or similar - which would help with night photos!

One problem is how to power the device. The obvious solution would be to use batteries, but I don't want to have to change them every few days. Once a month is OK, but any more than that and it's gonna get tedious. Also, people are going to start wondering what I'm doing. I thought about using a solar panel, but I'm not sure. I imagine they are quite expensive (remember, it could be stolen) but I'm open to suggestions.

I *may* be able to gain access to mains electricity at the roadside. If so, it would be prudent to assume that this could be cut off at any time. So, ideally, the unit would run on batteries, but would use mains power to charge up from time to time. It would be great to receive a warning if the mains power is cut or if the battery gets low.

That's about it. In summary, I need someone to help me design a roadside early warning system that is triggered by the presence of an RFID chip (or similar small, cheap, robust and energy-friendly transmitter). I should be able to place a number of these transmitters under car bumpers or wheel arches. The receiver unit should either transmit a warning signal or send an SMS to my mobile phone, and maybe others, whenever it is triggered. Ideally, it would also be able to send a series of photos by MMS. It should run on batteries, but with a method for topping up from the mains and, ideally, calling for help if it runs into energy problems.

What do you reckon? Is this feasible? Does anyone have any advice about how to implement it in practice? I'd really appreciate your thoughts, ideas, suggestions and recommendations.

Reply to
ajblane

20-30 Km = 12-18 Miles !!!

$5.00 , are you nuts !!!

This is not a technical problem.

It would be cheaper to hire a body guard.

After a few months of seeing you with a large person, will give the correct message.

Reply to
Donald

Get a very large dog.

Luhan

Reply to
Luhan

No, you're merely an apparent nutcase lurking in a bunker and contemplating various surveillance of - at best - dubious legality. Your scheme is utterly impossible.

You would be better off putting camera(s) in appropriate locations with good enough telephoto lenses to see the road in question and using image recognition software to identify the license plates of those vehicles. In my location, at least, you are required by law to post signs advertising the presence of such cameras.

Why not just dig some spiked man-traps around your house and seed the perimeter with antipersonnel mines? Another favored Vietnam-era tactic

- inexpensive, and all the components are available by mail-order in the United States - is to build a simple booby trap with a centerfire rifle cartridge, two pieces of wood joined by a hinge, and a nail that fires the cartridge when the device is stepped on. The next defensive ring can be a marshy patch infested with roaming crocodiles, and in the inner ring you should have several large, menacing-looking dogs - Dobermans and Alsatians are favorites. Acquire a .50 Barrett sniper rifle and you can sit in your pillbox ready to fend off any invader.

Reply to
zwsdotcom

-- Service to my country? Been there, Done that, and I've got my DD214 to prove it. Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell Central Florida

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Collect evidence, go to the local Police station, and ask for a restraining order.

This only works with hard evidence, however, such as logs of phone calls, transcriptions of incidents with dates/times/locations, that sort of thing. They won't issue a restraining order against the boogeyman behind that tree.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

This sounds like a very elaborate and expensive system. It will completely fail when the person removes the tag from their car or if they use a different car. Also there's a good chance that if you're caught sneaking around and tagging people's cars you could be charged with vandalism and/or trespassing.

A better solution would be to get a restraining order and a simple CCTV camera.

Reply to
Tom

Dear posters,

You all seem to assume that I live in a "civilised" country, like the US, where restraining orders, etc. have meaning. That is not the case. I live in Indonesia. Most of your comments become invalid when you take into account the different culture and laws here. Sometimes it's like the wild west here: people solve problems by forming a mob and burning your house down. It's sad, but true. In this event, I somehow doubt a CCTV camera would do me much good.

Paranoid? A survivalist? I don't think so. I certainy don't want to live in a bunker surrounded by guard dogs, etc., but it seems prudent to think about getting some sort of warning after having my life and property threatened.

Am I nuts? According to Wikipedia

"The lowest cost EPC RFID tags, which are standard chosen by Wal-Mart, DOD, Target, Tesco in the UK and Metro AG in Germany, are available today at a price of 5 cents each". So why is US$5 so crazy?

Of course my idea would fail if someone removed the tag (assuming they found it and knew what it was), or used a different car - but, once again, you are being US-centric. Can you imagine that there are countries where people don't have more than one car?

Tom wrote:

Reply to
Android

If the laws regarding personal safety are not well enforced, then I imagine that laws concerning radio spectrum usage are not all that well enforced either. In that case forget RFID and cellphones, just buy some wildlife tracking transmitters! They are small, lightweight, and the batteries will last anywhere from one month to several years. Here are some examples:

Then you just need to install a repeater somewhere near the road, preferably on top of the hill. A pair of ham radios on different bands connected back-to-back will make a satisfactory repeater. With a suitable antenna, this will relay the signal over the 30km back to your house. In a "civilised" country you would need a radio license for this kind of setup.

The 5 cent tags are passive devices. They have a read range of about 10cm from a shoe-sized antenna upto about 90cm at most from a door-sized antenna. Your chances of reading one of these from a hidden roadside antenna when the car is going 80km/h are almost zero.

Reply to
Tom

On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 00:23:09 -0700, Android top-posted:

First, don't top-post. It upsets the natural flow of the thread.

Well, if you can get all of those threatening people to wear RFID tags all of the time, then you're home free, right?

Are you sure you're not joking? ?:-/

And sticking tags surreptitiously on other people's property makes you no better than the intruders.

Just get some Passive Infrared (PIR) sensors - they're available in the US for about 5 or 10 bucks; I can't imagine they're not on the international market.

Or, just quit pissing everybody off.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

What have you done to piss off so many neighbors so badly? In this case many dogs may be a better answer.

--
 JosephKK
  --Schiller

I suggested the survialist group because they have seem to a knack of developing good home security, and living.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Thanks Tom, that's about the only sensible and to-the-point answer I've received from what seems to be a group dominated by juveniles.

As you guessed, the police in Indonesia are not particularly interested in radio frequency misdemeaners, so you're wildlife tracker suggestion seems spot on and I'll certainly look into it.

When I mentioned the 5 cent trackers, I was just using them as a quick example of the sort of cost that I guessed could be achieved. Maybe you didn't notice, but I multiplied that figure by 100 to take into account the fact that I would probably need something a bit more sophisticated

- like active tags. I don't see why that makes me nuts.

Not that I need to justify myself but, for the benefit of the posters who, instead of admitting they were wrong about me and apologising, are now seeking to blame me for pissing people off, here's a few examples of why certain individuals have threatened me and/or my property:

1) Because, in his opinion, I didn't employ enough local staff on my building project. This guy turned up at 4am one day armed with a speargun. 2) Because, after saying I'd think about it, I decided not to buy his car. This guy has not only threatened me, but also my wife. 3) Because my wife asked him not to park his motorbike inside our grounds. 4) Because I didn't repair a nearby streetlight. 5) Because I am refusing to pay someone the final payment on some building work that was 400% late. This guy has some seriously bad family connections.

So, what now posters? Can you f> > >Dear posters,

Reply to
Android

Please tell me you didn't actually take the time to sit there and physically type those words. Tell me you cut and pasted them from somewhere. I'd hate to think that someone has such a sad and pointless life that they would choose to spend their time in such a futile way. Plus, the amount of detail you went into was slightly scary. Did you really need to specify that I use a *centerfire* rifle cartridge? Or a

*Barrett* sniper rifle (complete with url)? Sounds like you could be a little obsessed...

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Android

In message , dated Mon, 28 Aug 2006, Android writes

I didn't contribute to this thread before. The bad situation arose because people assumed you were in USA, and commented accordingly about the right way to solve your problem in THAT country.

It wasn't until several responses had been received that you disclosed that you are in Indonesia, which obviously changes the picture completely.

2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.

John Woodgate

You still don't get it, do you?

First of all you *assumed* I was being paranoid about "the boogeyman behind that tree".

Now, you *assume* I am at fault by "pissing everybody off.".

Why do you keep making assumptions? Don't you know it makes it makes you look stupid and narrow-minded?

And why do you keep resorting to childish and tedious "straw-man" tactics to try and score a cheap laugh at my expense?

Tell you what, you grow up and I'll do my best to avoid upsetting the "natural order of the thread". Deal?

Rich Grise wrote:

different

trespassing.

Reply to
Android

That's right, they *assumed* I was in the USA - but they didn't merely comment about the right way to solve my problem in that country, they took the opportunity to turn on me like a bunch of playground bullies. I think that reflects rather badly on them and I'm not surprised to see that no-one has said anything to admit they were wrong or to apologise. On the contrary, they are now seeking to blame me for "pissing everyone off" and, pathetically, for "top-posting". How sad is that?

All I wanted to do was to pose an interesting intellectual proposition to what I thought was a group of people knowledgeable about electronics. I guess I made my own assumption: that such a group would be populated by adult-minded people with a scientific outlook. I'm sure there are plenty like that out there, but my impression is that I just walked into a kindergarten.

Incidentally, I am quite busy with other things (digging man-traps, etc.), so I don't get to check my posts, etc. every day. That's why I didn't respond sooner. I suppose they'll blame me for that too.

Reply to
Android

It's not an entirely unreasonable assumption to guess that you are posting from the USA. The majority of posters here are from either the USA, or from other western countries (such as Europe, Canada and Australasia). There are a small proportion from other parts of the world, and these are often easily recognized by their language (after all, English is often their third or fourth language). In most threads, the country of origin does not matter - and when it does matter, people state the country unless they are American (I wonder if they are ashamed or just arrogant). So when someone posts in good clear English, describing a violent and uncivilized situation, we naturally assume you are in the USA.

You failed to give essential information, you are asking for something close to impossible, you clearly don't have the knowledge, ability and finances to do what you ask for, you are suggesting things that many here feel are ethically or morally wrong (never mind illegal in most of the world), and you are almost certainly going about things the wrong way (at least under the assumption that you are in the USA). What sort of answers did you expect? If you had asked how to set up a phone tap on your neighbour - something that several in this newsgroup probably know how to do - do think they would tell you?

Add to that, many view this particular newsgroup as entertainment as well as for serious professional discussions. The same people will give solid expert electronics advice on one thread, and engage in kindergarten name-calling in another. I think some people assumed this was a non-serious off-topic thread.

Reply to
David Brown

A change of attitude might be your ticket to reduce the number of enemies you have to protect yourself from.

And Plonk! (for top posting)

Good riddance.

--
Thanks, Frank.
(remove \'q\' and \'.invalid\' when replying by email)

Of course! That's it. Why didn't I think of that before? Next time someone parks their motorbike in my grounds I'll keep a special eye on my wife to make sure she doesn't say anything to them about it.

And I'll be extra sure to make sure all the local streetlights are in good repair too.

Don't you get it? There are crazy people in this world. I am a foreigner living in a relatively big house and it sometimes attracts the wrong sort of attention. Do me a favour and don't assume it has anything to do with my attitude without checking a few facts first, ok?

Also, if you read my original post, I don't think you'll see anything wrong with my attitude. Of course I'm now letting off a little steam, but I think that's to be expected in the circumstances, don't you? Notice that I'm not critical of the group in general, only of those posters who were so narrow-minded and childish.

Reply to
Android