New Embedded Web Server

I'm looking for help on a new open source embedded web server. Developers, testers and documenters are very welcome.

I previously coded the GoAhead Web server that has been quite widely deployed, but I wanted to create a next generation architecture that would serve as a basis for products for the next many years to come. A new design that would be highly secure in the face of the current security climate.

This new version, called AppWeb is designed to be secure from the start, strong on features and yet is very modular and easy to embed. It is single or multithreaded, written in C++, support service side javascript, dynamic content generation, SSL, dynamically loaded modules, apache compatible configuration == and is a bit faster than Apache.

I have released a version 0.8 that is pretty solid, and I'm now ready to expand the team. The goal is to create an embedded web server that does not have the limitations of past/existing designs. One that is highly secure, very fast, rich in features yet modular and embeddable.

Please visit the site and email me if you can help.

Reply to
Michael O'Brien

Ugh!!

Missed the web site and my email details from my last post. Sorry.

Michael O'Brien snipped-for-privacy@mbedthis.com

Reply to
Michael O'Brien

Will it fit in 16k of program space?

-- Alf Katz snipped-for-privacy@remove.the.obvious.ieee.org

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Unbeliever

...I have 2K of RAM of which about 512 bytes are free - will it fit?

Reply to
Ian Okey

I think we both know the answer to your question. With the feature list described, it won't fit in 16K.

There are a couple of different classes of embedded software, all legitimately embedded, but with quite different memory requirements.

The AppWeb web server ranges from about 120K to 300K all up. As such, it won't help you for a 16K HTTP server. I'm not saying that you can't find or write a HTTP server, perhaps even a secure one in 16K -- but that is not the target of this project.

This project is targeting 32 bit operating systems running embedded application or applications that need an embedded web server. These fall into two groups:

- Systems where memory is really not constrained at all (>64MB). Really PCs or servers running in an embedded fashion. A lot of these are communications systems, routers, switches etc.

Reply to
Michael O'Brien

I posted an answer in a previous email with details about our memory footprint.

Michael O'Brien snipped-for-privacy@mbedthis.com

Michael O'Brien

Alf,

I thought I posted a response, but I can't see it in the group any more. I wanted to make sure you got my response so here it is again.

Mbedthis AppWeb was designed for embedded systems running 32 bit operating systems. Although you can design a HTTP server that runs in very small spaces, 512 bytes would be quite tough. I have previously developed one that implemented part of the HTTP/1.0 spec and received and responded to GET messages in a bit over 7K -- But that was quite limited in functionality. Certainly, it could not have much in the way of security protection (SSL, Digest authentication etc).

The goals of our project are to create an embeddable web server for applications or devices running 32 bit operating systems for which the centralized Apache / ISS model does not work well. The code is very portable and we are porting to a wide variety of operating systems. Code sizes vary depending on feature selection. We're still in pre-release, but current sizes indicate about 100K at the low end. A bit under 300K at the high end. The high end is multi-threaded, SSL, digest authentication, server javascript and quite a few other features.

So sorry I can't help.

Michael O'Brien snipped-for-privacy@mbedthis.com

Michael O'Brien

Not according to later responses but ours will. Still on the drawing board but we responded to pings this week in under a kilobyte on an 8051 in about 250 microseconds.

Eventually our Ethernet Gadget will not only provide small webserver applications but also have sufficient resources and I/O for controller purposes at the end of a powered Ethernet.

Reply to
Albert Lee Mitchell