Netburner time-code interface

Hello,

I am looking for a way to interface an IRIG (GPS) time signal to serial port data input and send the time tagged data out on the ethernet line. Since I am a novice in a "new" job, I wanted to know either the best way to attack this or if there is "canned" routine for this or similar appications. I know a little C (I'm more assembly oriented fwiw) and some basic electronics design.

Thank you, Eric

eric

One way to do this is to turn the serial input into GPIO and then start a timer ISR that runs at 3X the IRIGB symbol rate and read the state of this input bit and decode the hardway. You can find some timer ISR hints on our website under the support tab.

If you look at the IRIG signal your ISR can shift the new bit into a 32 bit value if you look at the pattern you should be able to detect the start of the IRIG sequence.

This is much easier to do if you only have to do it once in awhile to syncronize things rather than catch every single second of IRIG.

I know this will work, as I have done exactly what I've described but it was as consulting job for a specific customer and I can't share more than I already have.

If you contact me off list and it seems your company is not a competitor of the custom customer I'll see if I can get permission to share the code.

Paul

Newsgroups

Reply to
pbreed

Check out my timecode articles in Circuit Cellar, Jan-Mar/2000. They cover IRIG signals and gives some examples on how to interface to them.

See ya, ->Hello,

--
/* Ingo Cyliax, cyliax@ezcomm.com, Tel: 812-391-0895 */
Reply to

this input bit and

That would work. However, the plan is to use both serial ports (SB72) as data collection from the instruments. That pretty much leaves the TCP port as the preferred method of input. I am subliminally trying to get them to use the on board clock.

syncronize things rather than

Once every ten seconds should do for now. I envision it as saying, "at the tone, the time will be __."

was

already have.

Shucks!

of the

Okay.

Thanks, Eric

eric

Are the articles available online somewhere or do I have to actually buy both CDs to read them?

Thanks, Eric

eric

You can probably use som of the Serial handshake lines as the input for the IRIG.

Paul

Reply to
pbreed