debugging the enc28j60 ethernet communication

Hi guys

I am trying to interface the enc28j60 ethernet controller with one of the Atmel cortex microcontroller and my development environment is IAR embedded workbench.

what I am trying is that I am trying to get the ip address assigned to my controller with the dhcp module.

Actually the whole network is laid down as follows:

I have one D-Link router of series 600M and through this router the PC is connected and the cable modem is connected. Also the development board of the Atmel cortex is connected to the router. now the problem is I am trying to get the details of the traffic between the enc28j60 controller and the router in my PC through the wireshark but unable to sniff the traffic between router and the development board connected to the enc28j60 ethernet controller.

I am only able to see the internet traffic between my router and PC.

So I want to know that how can I debug the development of the ethernet application in this setup.

if my scene is not clear than please tell me what else information i need to provide.

regards

piyushpandey

The reason is that the router acts as a network switch, and it does not forward traffic between other ports to the PC port. You need a managed switch with a sniffer port configured or an Ethernet tap (google for it).

Does your interface and the switch get the link up?

--

-TV
Reply to

Get an old fashioned router, not a switch, or get a managed switch that you can setup to route all traffic out a port for your sniffer system. I keep an old router around for this kind of stuff, it is a 10mbps router, but that doesn't matter when the enc28j60 is a 10 meg IC anyway.

Reply to
WangoTango

On 2015-12-21 WangoTango wrote in comp.arch.embedded:

Didn't you mean to say 'Hub'? Routers have always forwared traffic to only the intended port, it's the hubs who just repeat all traffic on all ports.

The average individual's position in any hierarchy is a lot like pulling
a dogsled -- there's no real change of scenery except for the lead dog.
Reply to
Stef

Yes, I did. LOL Brain fart time.

Reply to
WangoTango

Can you please provide me some example for it. Also I browsed all over the net and come to know that router traffic can be sniffed if it is set to the promiscous mode.

So how can I set this promiscous mode in my router as I saw each and every corner in my router settings and I didn't find it anywhere in the settings webpage which I am able to access by just clicking 192.168.0.1 in the browser.

regards

piyushpandey

Yes.

Or just use a splitter to put both devices on the same segment.

George

Reply to
George Neuner

SOHO routers don't permit promiscious mode - at least not with their standard firmware. You can get a more capable business-class router or look into hacking the firmware on yours.

But it's easiest just to use a splitter to put your PC and the device on the same network segment. A decent 2-way splitter is < $10.

George

Reply to
George Neuner

An Ethernet tap is a splitter. It seems that the search terms 'ethernet tap' give better results.

--

-TV
Reply to

Hi guys

I think I need than another NIC card for my computer too so that I can sniff the network between my development board and the router and also would be able to access the internet at the same time.

What you say ???????????

Also can you please tell me some decent ethernet tap with cheap price.

piyushpandey

Yes, I understand that. The issue is that the word "tap" has different connotation than does "splitter". IME "tapping" implies cutting/probing whereas "splitting" (may imply that but usually) implies a plug-and-play solution.

YMMV, George

Reply to
George Neuner

Hi guys

I want to know that can I make my computer the DHCP server which can dynamically allocate the IP address to my embedded development board and made my PC and board to communicate over the crossover cable.

regards

piyushpandey

You should start with simpler things:

- assign a fixed address to the device and ping it, then - make a BOOTP server and make the device use it

DHCP is an extension of BOOTP.

For details, you could start at .

There is a problem in using a PC as a server: most operating systems obey the recommendation of not allow normal user code to serve ports below 1024.

If you're using Linux, maybe the simplest BOOTP/DHCP server is dnsmasq.

--

-TV
Reply to

There's no "maybe" about it - dnsmasq is very clear and simple, and should definitely be the first choice for a DHCP server. Don't bother with BOOTP - go straight to DHCP.

Reply to
David Brown

"Dual DHCP DNS Server" is good.

Here: