Linux/Windows device drivers

Hi,

I have a written a Linux driver to control a parallel port (bit bangs data serially) and I want to port it to windows. The Linux device driver is pretty simple, just a few ioctls and that's it. I have no experience with windows driver development. Any help on any of the following, to get me started, would be appreciated:

(1) I would like to find a simple skeleton driver that implements ioctls - any recommended web sites, books etc?

(2) What tools do I need to compile the driver?

(3) What do I need to do to install it on a windows box?

Thanks,

Paul.

--
Remove _rem_ before replying by email.
Reply to

[snip]

You should probably repost your question over in

microsoft.public.developement.device.drivers

From the top of my head I would say you don't have to write a driver at all. At least not because I know for sure that there are drives around which let you bit bang the paralell port.

HTH

Markus

Reply to
Markus Zingg

The normal way to handle this on windows is to use the readily-available "giveio" driver, which allows normal applications direct access to hardware. The application can the access the parallel port directly. A convenient place to look for examples of this sort of thing is something like the msp430 gcc project, or the ColdFire/683xx bdm gdb project, both of which support a parallel-port based debugger tool (jtag or bdm), and support both windows and linux. If you want to use a high level language like python, the msp430 jtag project also has a python parallel port module that should work nicely from either linux or windows.

David

Reply to
David Brown

Thanks, I'll look into it.

My Linux driver is in fact for JTAG programming.

I wonder what throughput you get when programming memory with a tool that uses the giveio driver? Of course it would depend on length of JTAG chain etc, but a rough idea of what's been achieved would be good to know.

Thanks again for info.

Regards,

Paul.

--
Remove _rem_ before replying by email.
Reply to
Paul Taylor

What sort of device is it? There are a fair number of open-source projects for jtag support, both as general support and for specific micros, for example

.

Reply to
David Brown