Examining the Translation Tables

Hi, I need to examine the translation tables to find the configuration of the Memory Space. I do not find any techniques for debugging the MMU in Arm Reference Manual. How to do it ?

Thx in advans, Karthik Balaguru

Reply to
karthikbg

I don't know about Arm, but in some hardware, the memory mapping registers are write only, so you need to keep track what the OS writes to these registers.

Some OS might even keep an image copy of the mapping registers in normal kernel RAM. You should exam these data structures. Any decent OS should have primitives for querying about the memory usage.

If everything else fails, just look what the OS writes into the actual hardware register.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Keinanen

I need to do MMU table walks and debug MMU. ( ARM926EJ-S ) . I use CCS(Code Composer Studio) & JTAG. Kindly tell me some ideas/solutions for this.

Thx in advans, Karthik Balaguru

Reply to
karthikbg

You need to read the Translation Table Base Register at CP15, Register 2 This contains a pointer to the First Level Page Table.

Reply to
spammers_lie

CP-15 is used to set MMU Memory Mapping

Reply to
werty

Thx for your info. I find that some Debuggers are capable of performing MMU table walks, for debugging in virtual memory environments . Kindly let me know if CCS (Code Composer Studio) supports it and provide me with some links/docs that explains it.

Thx in advans, Karthik Balaguru

Reply to
karthikbg

I suggest you ask your vendor's support. Texas Instruments in this case.

-p

--
"Unix is user friendly, it's just picky about who its friends are."
 - Anonymous

I am the fastest systems programmer on earth and I know everything about JumpTables , paging and protection and LDT's and GDT's and GPF's

but your unintuitive

TABLE WALK is ambigous ...

karthikbg wrote:

Reply to