The idea of disabling interrupts

Hi,

Is it a good idea to disable interrupts while sharing data (Critical Sections) ?

Thx in advans, Karthik Balaguru

Reply to
karthikbalaguru

Not really, why not locks (semaphore, signal etc. ) for shared data rather disabling the interrupts.

ali

Reply to
Ali

If you're sharing your data with an ISR, it is often the only thing you can do (unless your CPU has the right atomic instructions for the job).

If you're sharing between two tasks, it depends. Generally, if you disable interrupts for a short period, and you don't call any OS/library functions, it can be a useful method. Exactly how long you can disable interrupts depends on your environment and real-time requirements.

Reply to
Arlet Ottens

Thx for highlighting this :):)

Thx for the info. Interesting :):)

Thinking over this, i have a query - Is it possible to do sharing of data(Critcal Section) wihtout diabling of interrupts and also without the use of these RTOS features like semaphore/Mutex/ MessageQueues/Pipes/Mailboxes ?

Thx in advans, Karthik Balaguru

Reply to
karthikbalaguru

Sometimes you can use atomic instructions, if your CPU has them. For instance, the ARM has the SWP instruction that can be used to solve some concurrency problems.

The other possibility is to not use a preemptive RTOS. You can either use a non-preemptive (cooperative) OS, or not use an OS at all. I've implemented quite a few embedded systems that just had a polling loop, and a bunch of ISRs. In some cases, the ISRs did the bulk of the work, so there wouldn't be any concurrency issues, and the timing was guaranteed.

Reply to
Arlet Ottens

If you insist on sharing data (instead of transfering), there is also lock-free data exchange. It involves keeping multiple copies of the shared data and updating its pointers depending on the state of the readers and writers.

http://www.opera.com/mail/
Reply to
Boudewijn Dijkstra

If you have an OS that supports MessageQueues/Pipes/Mailboxes, why do you want to avoid them? And if you have an OS that supports semaphore/Mutex, why would you want to avoid using them?

Semaphores were created for dealing with critical section issues.why not use the right tool for the job? Ed.

Reply to
Ed Prochak

Thx for the info. I thought of such a similar idea - The idea of using flags w.r.t interrupts. Enable a flagA and manipulate the part A (shared data) in task code and as flagA is enabled, manipulate the part B in the ISR. And vice versa for part B(Shared Data). Though this replaces the idea of disabling interrupts, this is time consuming.

Karthik Balaguru

Reply to
karthikbalaguru

I was just thinking of a way of avoiding the disabling of interrupts by our own programming rather than depending on the RTOS features.

Karthik Balaguru

Reply to
karthikbalaguru

Please define share more precisely.

If only one thread is writing to data, and other thread(s) is reading data only, then no need for the things you requested. Producer/ consumer buffers are typically implemented as such.

Reply to
Laguna

Hi, While flags may seem to resemble in one way like a semaphore in its way of operation,there are subtle differences and advantages on using semaphore then a flag.

1)A flag may get modified any time and may introduce write/read problems and that too while dealing with interrupts you always dont know when your flag will be required. 2)If your idea is to share data between 2 tasks(strictly 2 tasks only),flag might be useful 3)The overhead you experience with your OS structures may be high compared to your own implementation,but I would not use my own structures when its available from OS.Further I believe the overheads of using these OS features are too minimal to cause a major problem for your product or application,provided your talking about RTOS .You can request the OS vendor for time bench marks for these operations if you still doubt. 4)But when you are going to share data between multiple tasks,controlling access to the flag gets a nightmare.It really needs great thinking and effort to ensure only the right task accesses the flag at right time.Suppose two tasks try to access data at same time,you would not be able to decide which one to be given preference to access the flag.This would well be solved by a semaphore.AFAIK atleast with vxworks and OS20 you can specify during semaphore creation the access controllability for tasks accessing the resource using semaphores.Belive such feature would be available in most of RTOS 5)Interrupt locks are best for short duration codes and same case applies for taskLocks.Always as a thumb rule,locks should be for minimal period which could be depending on your application.

Just shared my thoughts from experience,

Regards, s.subbarayan

Reply to
ssubbarayan

Multually exclusive task manipulation with exclusive flags can make a good design.

True. With careful design , we can extend this design. For example in assembly level programming, we handle many flags with ease with proper correlation and care taken while implementation. Similar scenario applies here.

But, i think that using RTOS resouces will consume the microprocessor resources a bit more in the intialisation/creation stuffs. Further, making it independent of the RTOS functions, makes efficient programming by making it work only for the desired functionalities that we need.

Accepted. But, creation of large number of tasks has its own drawbacks. Context switch time will be adding to the response time.

Even large number of semaphores can cause all kind of potential bugs . (Wrong Correlation between semaphore and task etc).

True. As long it is short it is good. But, really bad if we use it while performing some calculations / lenghy operations as it might add up to the response time.

Karthik Balaguru

Reply to
karthikbalaguru

So what happens when the following sequence of events happens?

  1. Task 1 reads Flag A finds that the shared data is available
  2. But before it can set the flag Task 2 reads Flag A, finds shared data available and sets the flag.
  3. Task 1 runs again and sets the flag.

This is the situation that semaphores were designed to avoid. Unless you have a processor with atomic read-modify-write a simple flag is not going to work for two or more tasks.

TW

Reply to
Ted

It can be made to work if only one task is writing the flag and the other one is reading it. A typical application is a ping-ping buffer between a task and an ISR.

In this design, there are two buffers, and a flag. The flag is written by the task, and read by the ISR.

If flag = 0, ISR writes to buffer A, and task reads from buffer B. If flag = 1, ISR writes to buffer B, and task reads from buffer A.

When the task's read buffer is empty, it toggles the flag. The task doesn't need to disable interrupts in this case.

Reply to
Arlet Ottens

OS/library

guaranteed.

Hi, Please see my comments embedded:

Assembly programming is quite different from what we are discussing here.The very problem of synchronisation or mutual exclusion happens if only theres going to be threaded or multitask environment.I believe your assembly might not be as threaded as you see in a high level application with an RTOS.

This is fine as far as you are careful enough.But as the code grows its really tough to keep track of the usage.Further,generally flags if at all used between multiple tasks should be global which may cause re entrancy problems and if this happens I can bet its going to make it tough to debug and fix it.This I have seen from experience.

Accepted.

Creating large or less tasks is more application driven and design oriented then to talk about OS.Context switch time for most RTOS under test conditions by bench marks are in micro secs range and incase your application needs more then this,I would say you need to choose right OS suiting your needs.Again ,for semaphores one should be using it only if theres no option.But using semaphores wrongly is more to do with one's designing then the OS.If you are not careful anything is a problem!(forget about semaphores,or flags),carelessness will be root cause for lots of problems. Where semaphore scores over flags are tracking mechanism is inbuilt in a semaphore of a OS where as flags need a tracking mechanism as good as one offered by OS. I dont know what sort of application has constraints from resource point which may force you to decide RTOS structures are not efficient enough?

But these are my opinions.You are the one well aware about your needs then any of us.

Regards, s.subbarayan

Reply to
ssubbarayan

Hi, This is the same point I was conveying the OP.But you put it more precise enough.

Regards, s.subbarayan

Reply to
ssubbarayan

This is the scenario i am trying to explain.

This is the scenario i am designing for avaoiding the disabling of interrupts. Thx for putting it with a proper example.

Thx, Karthik Balaguru

Reply to
karthikbalaguru

I accept your points. But, there is some miscommunication. (My query is not clear). I am talking about scenarios of mutually exclusive read/write w.r.t mutually exclusive set of flags that can avoid the disabling of interrupts.

Thx , Karthik Balaguru

Reply to
karthikbalaguru

... snip ...

This requires that the process of making that decision can inhibit the operation of the 'ISR'. To me 'ISR' implies an interrupt routine, so that inhibition implies disabling interrupts. As I see it everything can fail uncontrollably when the input rate exceeds the output rate. Which also implies that the interval between input events must be large enough that the output task can empty the current buffer.

   Try the download section.
Reply to
CBFalconer

What can go wrong if it doesn't ?

Yes, ISR = interrupt service routine.

My assumption is that the buffer assigned to the ISR can store multiple input events. The system needs to be designed to guarantee that the task can empty its buffer, and switch the buffers, before the ISR fills up its buffer. Of course, any other kind of system needs to make similar guarantees.

The advantage of using ping pong buffers is that it makes it easier to handle a buffer full of incoming events in a burst, without having to worry that the buffer will be modified in the meantime.

Reply to
Arlet Ottens