Ethernet transceiver connections

Can anyone help please?

I want to run some 10/100 Ethernet with a rack between 8 or so boards including 1 switch device. The output from the Ethernet devices on each of the boards is basically an MDI i.e. after the PHYs. I don't want to include magnetics due to the space requirements and no need to run any distance. It's possible to connect PHYs together but how exactly is it done. Can they simply be connected directly or is capacitative coupling required?

TIA.

Roger.

Reply to
Roger

Roger schrieb:

Roger,

This is not standardized, and from what I gather the biggest problem is the different voltage levels the (different?) PHYs have. Most PHY manufacturers have app notes on this subject which should get you started. I know for sure RealTek and National do.

HTH

Markus

Reply to
Markus Zingg

"Roger" skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com...

With switched Ethernet and one device per port, you could probably replace the PHY with some LVDS transceiver.

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson