Cheapest 8-bit eval board with Ethernet?

I need to put together one to a few quick prototypes of an Ethernet-connected system, and the customer is concerned to minimize the materials cost of his prototype(s). The requirement is for enough flash and RAM to run a TCP/IP stack and download a small HTML file via http. Board must have both a serial port and a Centronics port to connect to one of two different printers, but I can hack both of those on with external hardware of course.

The cheapest retailed EVB I can see is Olimex's MSP430F149 board with

10bT Ethernet at $69.95. This price is acceptable (though RAM is a bit tight - I will have to add external SPI EEPROM to store the downloaded file), but I'd like to hear alternatives if they exist.

Particularly something with more RAM (8K would be nice). MSP430, ARM or AVR preferably. What I really want is a stripped down version of one of Olimex's ST or Philips-based ARM boards. I _JUST_ want the Ethernet and the micro, nothing else :)

Reply to
larwe

Oops, please ignore the subject line. I started thinking one thing then started typing another :)

Reply to
larwe

Would one of the low-end Rabbits (e.g. RCM2200) not do? Seems to meet all your requirements in terms of Ethernet and TCP/IP, I/O, serial port, RAM (battery-backed), and cost.

Steve

Steve at fivetrees

Hmm. I'll take a look at it, but I suspect this would be a bad choice - I'd never go to production with Rabbit, and their baroque development environment would mean an irritating porting effort to the real hardware.

Reply to
larwe

Fred Eady's got a bunch of embedded ethernet modules at

Cheers, Alf

Reply to
Alf Katz

If you're charging for the time it takes you to find the board, the cheapest one is the first good one you find.

If you're not charging to find one (why?), but are charging for the time it takes you to make it work, the cheapest one is the one with the most generous set of resources and demonstration software.

Unless you're talking a "prototype" run of 500 or so.

But you knew that, so I assume the directive is coming from your client...

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

Production != "a few quick prototypes" ;).

It's not really that bad. I've just done a small production run with the

2200; I managed to find a way of organising my files such that they were pretty close to ANSI C. (I needed to be able to port the whole thing on to a different platform later too.) I found some aspects irritating, sure, but I confess I've developed a grudging respect for both the hardware and the software environment.

Steve

Steve at fivetrees

Good choice, but remove the 149 device and replace with the 1611 .. 10KB RAM and DMA

Reply to
TheDoc

Take a look at TINI (From MAXIM). I found it to be a great network platform. iButton makes for great human interface. They can be programmed in Java as well.

Sandeep

Sandeep Dutta

larwe a écrit :

Have a look at this:

Bugman

If you are looking at Freescale, you'd be much better off with the MCF5223x family now rather than the MC9S12NE64. You get a much more powerful 32-bit ColdFire cpu, with more memory and better development tools, for a similar price and with the same convenience of having the MAC and PHY built into the device. From the Freescale website, I could only see fairly large and expensive development cards - a minimal board with the device should be no more than about a square inch area.

David Brown

Yes, but the 9s12ne64 demo board cost is 75$, and 52330 eval board cost is 300$.

Reply to
Bugman

Exactly - the Coldfire device is a much better choice of chip, but the Freescale cheap demo board is not available yet. There might well be other boards available with these devices, however - I've only looked at the Freescale page.

I guess it also depends on how much the customer is determined to use the lowest price demo cards regardless of the devices on the card, and how much they want to use a card with a device that would be realistic for production systems.

Reply to
David Brown