Embeded System Recomendation

I have been searching for a system that meets my needs, but I'm having alo of trouble. I am looking for a low power consumption (will be on 24/7 system that has a processor or 1ghz or more, 512m ram or more. I als would prefer that the system have a gigabit network card but an open pc can take care of that for me. I am also looking for serial ata ( will b used as a file server running FreeNAS

but id only is fine too as long as there is another open pci slot. An recomedations?

Reply to
Rosco111

1GHz and "low power" just don't seem to meet up in my head -- how long will it run off of a watch battery?

I have no specific recommendations (other than to back down from that

1GHz requirement if you can). A notebook computer comes to mind, if you can figure out how to turn off or otherwise disable the display. Otherwise you may want to hunt around among the micro-ATX motherboards to see if one stands out as a low-power device.
--
Tim Wescott
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Tim Wescott

Do a search for mini-itx and nano-itx, lots of small servers use them.

PS Is it just me but do posters using gmail appear to do design based on 'anything is possible' (aka supply the National Power Grid for 10 years from a watch battery) and have looked at buzzwords firsts to put their blocks/modules together then expect to find ONLY their narrow definition?

See also SBC requirements, the not so long ago credit card sized router to bypass an existing router (and seek patents on it).

PPS Seriously considering using 'gmail' as a filter...

    PC Services
             For those web sites you hate
Reply to
Paul Carpenter

I killfiled all senders from gmail months ago - lots of the useless noise is gone. So the flip side to your recommendation is this: If you use gmail, and you want serious consideration of your posts, maybe you should abandon gmail.

JJS

Reply to
John Speth

In message , John Speth writes

I would say abandon:- Gmail hotmail yahoo aol (for a long while, after AOL gave it's users net access, stood for "Arse-holes On Line" )

They are all as bad as each other. No offence to John, there are a few good people on all of them but the amount of junk out of all of those hosts is quite bad.

/\/\/ chris@phaedsys.org      www.phaedsys.org \/\/\
Chris H

... snip ...

Which is why all users contravening Usenet protocols should be jumped upon wetly from a great height. So far all they have found is something that more or less answers back.

 [page]:
            Try the download section.
Reply to
CBFalconer

OK, maybee I should have cleared things up. First of all by low power, mean < 60 watts. Comeon, products like the MaxSpeed thin clinet do tha (just can't find any on ebay right now) Really the only reason I use gmai is because I am tired of changing everything everytime I change ISP's

Reply to
Rosco111

[..big snip..]

My first post told you what to look for and are definitely

Reply to
Paul Carpenter

let's further clarify then. GRR There will be no optical drive, video wil be kept to an absolute minimum. I would prefer the gigabit nic to b onboard but if not eh oh well. The system would run as a server short ter off of two sata hard drives powered externally, when laptop hardrive speed come up, the 3.5"s will be replaced. I should have said that I prefer 1GH but the system will run fine on much less, I am just not willing to g below 500mhz or anything less than 256mb ram.

Reply to
Rosco111

Look at these low power boards:

(list not complete, there are much more)

A complete system with 2.5" drive should be happy with 30W - I've done power measurements with an Metex RMS power meter here at the 230V plug. You can keep the OS on a CF card, so the hard disk is for data only and can spin down when not in use. The box needs 12V (external notebook power supply for wall power), and a car battery with charger would give a cheap and efficient UPS.

Cases:

And of course: No fans! No noise!

If you need additional LANs:

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Frank-Christian Krügel

Reply to
Frank-Christian Kruegel

To get to specifics, I bought one of these:

also at
and other places.

1.2GHz fanless processor 1 GB RAM 2 SATA plus 2 UltraDMA ports 100 Mb ethernet onboard.

You can add 1-3 gigabit ports with a special add-on card ($22-52 board price range).

I chose it because the chart at

indicates this board takes 6W to operate. I haven't validated it myself, but plan to in the next few months.

I'm running Linux on it from a purpose-built live USB stick image for my robot.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Bergstrom

power

can

supply

Thanks! That is exactly what I am looking for. I don't know if I just wasn' running the right searches, or not searching hard enough. Thanks a lot!

Reply to
Rosco111