Recommendation on embedded systems

I am considering buying a development system for chip level programming and wonder what most experts recommend to someone in my position.

I have very little electronics experience other that understanding what the basic components are to do. But I have spent a little time programming in C, as well as a entry level college coarse a few years ago, and wrote a few custom Dos utilities with it. I have done a lot of programming in dBase, and simply chose C for those few times when I needed to get a little closer to the metal.

I don't plan to do enough projects for chip cost to become much of a factor, just hobby stuff that will be used in my own manufacturing business. So I have drifted away from the thought of something as complex as AVG, and am considering the C-stamp, guessing it is superior to the Basic Stamp, and more suitable to my past experience. It also seems future experience with something like the C-stamp might be more useful to graduating up to something like the AVG someday, than experience with the Basic stamp would, but just a wag.

Just wondering about suggestions of the group, on these products, or any others. At this point I'm not locked in to anything.

Thanks for you thoughts and taking time to write,

Max

Reply to
Maxwell

Visit avrfreaks.net and look in the 'tools' area under 'dev boards' for inexpensive boards with atmel AVR cpu.

Reply to
BobG

The PIC-AXE is by far the easiest introduction, and the easiest way to get a "no-fuss" project working. You don't even need to write code if you don't want to, you can use flowcharts. PICAXE killed the BASIC Stamp's market.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

Do they have a US distributor for their products, or would I have to order from the UK or NZ? And if so, how much expense and lead time does that add to most UPS orders?

Reply to
Maxwell

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@l53g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Gives: