Embedded platform - any suggestions

Dear All,

I am working on a project where we have some image processing algorithms written by my colleague. This is accomplished on a normal PC. What we need to do is drive the images on to an approximately 50 inch LCD TV. We are looking at 1080p resolution. We would need the code written on the PC to be completely ported on to a piece of hardware with its necessary peripherals such that we can have a standalone application, without depending upon the presence of a PC.

Could someone please suggest the kind of platforms I could test & port my application on?

Thanks & Regards,

Reply to
mvr

Whether the screen is 5 inch or 50 inch makes little difference.

So you are looking at 1920 x 1080 image sizes in pixels.

How often are the images updated?

Where are the images coming from?

What determines what image processing is done and when?

Define what you think is or is not a 'PC', many solutions look nothing like a desktop PC, but are an embedded PC.

As you have given very little detail you could end up with a lot of suggestions, which may or may not work.

    PC Services
 Timing Diagram Font
  GNU H8 - compiler & Renesas H8/H8S/H8 Tiny
 For those web sites you hate
Reply to
Paul Carpenter

If I told you I was building a car, and I asked you what size and type of engine it needed, what would you tell me?

You need to give us some clue of what your processor loading is if you want to get something that'll work. If money is an object, you also need to give us a clue about your anticipated production volumes. Little details like whether the computer has to capture video to be processed, whether it's going to be networked, how it's going to be interacted with by who (just at manufacture time? Every week by the guy who flips the burgers? Every moment by your end customers?), etc., would also be helpful.

If it works on a PC, why not a PC?

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

WinSystems (and probably some others) has boards (and 'development kits' w'ever) that should allow xfer of your system into a smaller package than a typical PC. There may be cheaper alternatives of course.

1 Lucky Texan

I'm thinking exactly the same thing. Often when these "must walk and talk like a PC... must not be a PC" requirements can be satisfied by a PC motherboard in a custom enclosure. ITX boards are seriously worth looking at, but you'll need to select carefully for HD video support.

--
Andrew Smallshaw
andrews@sdf.lonestar.org

Go to Texas Instruments' website and look up DaVinci EVM and you should find something.

--
Boo
Reply to