Do I have to use a ARM MCU with EMI to use external flash and DRAM?

can AT91SAM7X256 have external flash and DRAM? AT91SAM7X256doesn't have EMI(external memory interface) , is it possible to extend external flash and DRAM? thanks

Reply to
jetq88

The SAM7X does not have an external data bus or address bus as far as I am aware so your only options are serial devices for a little more flash, or a very slow bit banged interface though an IO port. Neither of these are any good for executing code. I believe there is an equivalent part that has an external bus - why not use that?

Regards, Richard.

    for Cortex-M3, ARM7, ARM9, HCS12, H8S, MSP430 Microblaze, Coldfire, AVR, x86, 8051 & PIC18 * * * *
Reply to
FreeRTOS.org

hi, Richard,

thanks for your answer, I have another question for you, if I use AT91SAM7x256 with your RTOS from freeRTOS.org, what size of footprint is it? do I still have room to grow if I add TCP/IP stack and/or USB host/device later on?

thanks

FreeRTOS.org wrote:

Reply to
jetq88

If you need external flash and SDRAM, you'd be better off with the AT91SAM9260. (Unless you really need the integrated CAN controller)

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson

Take a look at the FAQ - info is provided for ARM builds. I have used the SAM7X256 with uIP and lwIP, both with a simple USB driver included in the build so I don't think size is an issue.