Smartcard reader project

Hi All,

I would like to develop a simple contact smartcard reader to ISO7816... with a little bit of security... using the Philips TDA8009 IC and a micro.

What cards would you recommend and where would you get them from in small volume.

What protocols/standards would you suggest with a little bit of security.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions amd info.

Regards JG

Reply to
Joe G (Home)

Are you sure you need that IC ?

Sorry text is in German, but circuit should be obvious. The official protocol for "smartcards" with processors nominally requires a UART. But as transfer is halfduplex its easy to do it via a software-UART. You probably will not use that type of card anyway. With simpler/cheaper cards like SLE44xx its bitbanging.

That probably excludes repackaged I2C-EEPROMs. Do you want to store data or only have a "key" ? For reading unprotected, but writing protected by PIN: here in Germany mainly SLE4442 ( 256 byte ) and SLE4428 ( 1k byte ) are readily available for small volume applications. Try google & ebay for sellers.

MfG JRD

Reply to
Rafael Deliano

You can buy these commercially from £10 or so, ready to go + free software. typical cards are FUN4, Titanium2 etc.

Reply to
martin.shoebridge