DM355 Coprocessor

Hello, Does anyone here have any experience with TI's DaVinci DSP's? I am trying to find out what the co processor does, specifically with Jpeg compression. Here is an excerpt from the description:

DM355 performance is enhanced by its MPEG4/JPEG coprocessor. The MPEG4/ JPEG coprocessor performs the computational operations required for image processing; JPEG compression and MPEG4 video and imaging standard. The MPEG4/JPEG coprocessor supports MPEG4 SP at HD (720p), D1, VGA, SIF encode/decode resolutions and JPEG encode/decode up to

50M pixels per second.

Does this mean that the codec is built in/or they are provided or do I have to write my own?

Any hints greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Reply to
amerdsp

Un bel giorno amerdsp digitò:

No, the CODEC is software and runs as part of the firmware, but it takes advantage of the DSP functions/accelerations. Apparently TI has changed the license approach with the DM355 CODECs; with the previous DaVinci processors (DM6446 etc...) they give a demo version of the CODECs with the evaluation platform (DVEVM), but then you have to pay a lot of $$ if you want to buy the "production" license. With the DM355 it looks like that you just need to buy the EVM (500$) in order to get the production CODECs:

emboliaschizoide.splinder.com
Reply to
dalai lamah

amerdsp schrieb:

That coprocessor only gets mentioned briefly. You'll find it in the product overview and you'll find some info on it in the lowlevel documentation as well (there are some events or interrupts associated with that coprocessor).

However, I wasn't able to find any kind of documentation, register-map or a support-library of the VICP yet.

We can only guess what the VICP is capable of doing.

If anyone has some infos, please let me know. Nils

Reply to
Nils

T.I. only gives out info on the coprocessor or the accompanying library to their 3rd party codec suppliers like Ateme or Ittiam. That is the same policy as it was on the DM6446 we are using.

If you are a serious user you can contact TI for evaluation versions of codecs, the 3rd party does the few hours of support that comes with the evaluation. They are very helpful. The codec demos normally only run on the DVEVM, most versions we tested came as a ready to run binary image. The codec interface itself always follows the TI XDM standard.

Arie de Muynck

Reply to
Arie