Cheap way of mounting a BGA chip

Anyone know of any low cost way of mounting a BGA chip?

I tried to inquire about this with a board manufacturer. I told them I'd like to get a couple of 200+ pin bga chips mounted onto a board and I got back a quote for a few hundred dollars!!

Now how in the hell can any hobbyists prototype anything if just mounting a chip costs a few hundred dollars.

I know there are BGA adapters out there but I don't want to go that route.

Any suggestions or does anyone know any low cost (e.g. 50 dollars) shop which will mount a BGA on a board if supplied with the chip & board.

Thanks

Reply to
vorange

See this old posting of mine here:

Didi

Now how in the hell are these companies going to make any money if they have to hold hands with every beginner that comes along.

You what to play, you have to pay. ( or get out of the business )

donald

Reply to
donald

Todays hobbyists are tomorrows customers. :-)

Reply to
Nils

I've never done it before but is it possible to make a board where the edge pins of the BGA have a through-hole via to the other side of the board. I can then mount the chip by tacking the 4 corners through the via from the other side of the board. And then put the whole board in the oven to bake.

Is this practical at all? The bga pins already have solder on them do they not?

Reply to
vorange

So why do you direct your reply at me - was it so hard to read before replying. I posted the solution, you see, not the question.

Didi

Didi

Sorry

Reply to
donald

here:

If you have control over the manufacture of the board, the answer is yes. I've done just that on one-off samples for low budget in-house projects.

--

Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)
Reply to

Thanks for the reply.

Is there anything beyond what I described that I should be doing to make sure the chip adheres? Should I perhaps be applying a small amount of (paste) flux to the underside of the chip so the solder melts at a lower temperature or is that unnecessary.

Reply to
vorange

The BGA balls are all solder, actually. You have to stick the BGA with some flux - not liquid but not too hard either, I use a German one called "loethonig" (soldering honey... :-). Once stuck at its position, just reflow the board as I descrbed in my older posts and you are done (apart from washing). During reflow, the BGA floats on its liquid balls and gets properly positioned by surface tension. Be careful to stick it at the right place, it can be offset by a row... (once happened to me).

Didi