PCB under a screw terminal

I need to design something simple: A PCB that connects an AC inlet and some DC power plugs to a power supply like this one:

Here comes the hard part: I'm thinking about making a PCB that can be mounted directly to/under the screw terminals. I know large electrolitic capacitors are mounted in a similar manner. What I don't know is whether this is a smart idea given the mechanical stresses from tightening the screws (the PCB with the plugs will have its own mounting points) and the layout requirements.

I searched around a bit, but I couldn't find any information about PCB requirements. Anyone got any usefull suggestions or pointers?

--
Programmeren in Almere?
E-mail naar nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)

This supply has plastic protrusions between each screw, meaning you'd have to slot the PCB. Not a good thing IMHO because that weakens the FR4 layer stack and it will be easily crushed. You'd only have a millimeter or two of fringe area. Capacitors are not mounted on corners but somewhere within the board proper.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

PCBs tend to cold-flow, reducing screw force. If a lot of current is involved, heating increases flow, reduced force increases resistance, and it runs away and fries.

The MeanWell has barrier strips that may have something equivalent to springy lockwashers, but they may have wire clamps that gouge the board and accelerate flow.

Some metal lug on you board, that slips into the MeanWell barrier strip, would be lower risk.

We use a lot of MeanWell 150 watt PFC-corrected switchers. They've been excellent.

John

Joerg, John, Thanks for your answers. I'll put this one in my 'bad ideas' basket. Perhaps I can find header which has the same pitch so I can slip that under the screw terminals of the power supplies.