Automate the writing of Flash to a hitachi controller -- what are GUI-free options?

I am currently working with the H83040 controller, but this applies
as well to several chips of that vendor.

The EVB we got from Hitachi came with a "Flash Development Toolkit" (v1.5).
Works, nice GUI -- but I am tired of manually clicking a bunch of buttons
every time I want to download my (gcc-generated) code/image to the chip.

I am looking for some means to automate the flash-writing process:
either a pre-packaged a command-line utility, or some libraries
that would allow me to write my own flash-updating program.
This would allow me to:
 - add a 'make' rule to automatically update a connected controller
 - generate/customize some contents of the flash image (.mot)
   on-the-fly.

Does anyone know of such a solution ?

Any help/pointers would be appreciated a lot...

TIA - Ivan
--
http://ivan.vecerina.com

Re: Automate the writing of Flash to a hitachi controller -- what are GUI-free options?

(v1.5).
Winbatch (www.winbatch.com) has worked for us under similar circumstances
(assuming your host OS is Windows).
Cheers
Alf
snipped-for-privacy@remove.the.obvious.ieee.org
www.micromagic.net.au

Re: Automate the writing of Flash to a hitachi controller -- what are GUI-free options?
There was an application called Flash Simple on the European
Hitachi web site. It has disappeared.

It looks like FDT 3.0 will have an automated mode that works.
(FDT2.2 is broken for automated flashing) FDT3.0 is due out this autumn.

regards,
Darcy Roberts

Re: Automate the writing of Flash to a hitachi controller -- what are GUI-free options?
Hi,
| There was an application called Flash Simple on the European
| Hitachi web site. It has disappeared.

From some comments I was able to google, Flash Simple looks
like it could be what I'm looking for...
Do you know if its license allowed redistribution?

| It looks like FDT 3.0 will have an automated mode that works.
| (FDT2.2 is broken for automated flashing) FDT3.0 is due out this autumn.
ok - I saw a manual for it at
http://www.renesas.com/eng/products/mpumcu/tool/download/fztat/doc/pdf/fdt30ug_e.pdf
But I'm not sure what you mean by 'automated flashing'
(no mention of word 'automated' in the manual).
I guess I will give it a try.

For me, the ultimate solution would be a simple SW that
I can put on a CD-rom, and use on any PC to perform flash
updates (e.g. as a service tool, with just an extra cable).
So a tool like winbatch doesn't really make it...

Thanks,
Ivan

Re: Automate the writing of Flash to a hitachi controller -- what are GUI-free options?
Send me your email and I'll send you a copy of FlashSimple 1.1

Note that FlashSimple will NOT work with the 'A' mask parts
that use the newer protocols. If you are using FDT 1.5,
then you'll be okay.

FDT 2.2 has an item under Tools called "simple interface..."
This is kind of a one button interface you are looking for
but it is fundamentally broken - it doesn't do a disconnect
automatically, so will only 'auto' program a device once.

I agree that a simple one button service tech style download
program is needed. I have to write one in the next 6 months or so.

regards,
Darcy Roberts

http://www.renesas.com/eng/products/mpumcu/tool/download/fztat/doc/pdf/fdt30ug_e.pdf

Re: Automate the writing of Flash to a hitachi controller -- what are GUI-free options?
I guess this depends on what you are doing but we use FDT for (small
volume) manufacturing and then if upgrades need to be done in the
field we have our own download and flash burn algorithms. The
advantage of this is that we can upgrade software without changing the
MD0..MD2 pins so we can upgrade remotely and can even upgrade over GSM
without any problems. It really is quite easy to write your own FLASH
burning algorithms so I'd certainly reccomend considering rolling your
own.

Regards

Iain

Iain Tebbutt
www.claritech.co.uk
Hardware and Software Design

Re: Automate the writing of Flash to a hitachi controller -- what are GUI-free options?
On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 12:07:37 +0200, "Ivan Vecerina"

    How about Yukio Mituiwa's H8Write (sorry I don't have his URL
readily available). Caters for the H8/3048 as well as many other H8's
& SH's. He has supplied source code so you could modify it for your
needs. I run it on my editor/IDE but can be run from a command line as
a batch file.

Ken.

I hate junk email. Please direct any
genuine email to: kenlee at hotpop.com