how to config Linux on embedded system?

Hi,

I'm a newbie for linux-omap, and am trying to port the linux-omap onto a specific embedded system, which has 8M/8M rom/ram.

I have some questions regarding with configuring Linux:

  1. how to config the total memory when making the kernel? For example, 8M/8M rom/ram.
  2. how to specify the startup address when making the kernel? For example, the kernel is expected to start from 0x0a000000.
  3. how to let the linker allocate code/data/stack on specific addresses? For example, code starts from 0x0a000000, data starts from 0x08000000, and stack starts from 0x04000000.

Or, is there any reference for these questions?

Thanks in advance, Liang

Reply to
Liang

Its the job of the bootloader. It generates a TAG with the amount of ram as it's data element and forwards it to the starting kernel.

What kind of bootloader do you are using? When uboot, it uses a packed image to load and start the kernel. The desination address of the kernel is embedded in this image.

I'am not sure if you need it. If I remember right there is an entry in the kernel configurator to setup these addresses.

Try the ARM Linux Kernel Mailing List (ALKML). Maybe their FAQ helps.

Hope it helps. JB

Reply to
Juergen Beisert

Hi,

I am also looking for OMAP + ARM based Ref. design, incase if you know any vendor (inexpensive, for self learning on OMAP), please let me know, Thanks in advance.

GS

Reply to
GS