Batteries for PC/104

Hi,

We have a small PC/104 device that performs some input logging. The problem is we don't have any UPS system attached to it. Does anyone know of any inexpensive (around $100) UPS systems for PC/104 ? We only need enough power to perform a proper shutdown.

Many thanks,

Wim

Reply to
Wim Godden

Does your PC104 card have any power supply on it at all? If not you should perhaps consider making your own UPS system. A DC-DC converter (or two) delivering the PSU voltages the PC104 card requires, a battery pack that has enough capacity to keep your system going for as long as you need it to and a battery float charger. You need to ensure that, when the mains supply fails, the charger is not responsible for any of the discharge.

Paul E. Bennett ....................
Forth based HIDECS Consultancy .....
Mob: +44 (0)7811-639972
Tel: +44 (0)1235-811095
Paul E. Bennett

I'm using a standard 230VAC-to-5VDC power supply that I hook up to the PC104 CPU board. Basically, what you're suggesting is putting a standard battery (for example a

12V) in between and thus using a 230VAC-to-5VDC, then the battery, then a 12VDC-to-5VDC converter ?

Wim

Reply to
Wim Godden

Almost right. Use a 230V to 12V PSU/Charger (to float a 12V battery) then the 12V DC to 5V DC converter which will power your board. I know it seems a bit strange but there is a huge loss of efficiency using a UPS system that down-converts the 230V to a DC battery voltage then convert the DC battery voltage to 230V AC. Your average laptop does things the way I suggest. Yes, you will need to pay a little more attention to the PSU/Charger item so that the battery is properly looked after. The DC DC converters for after the battery are fairly common place these days.