PC/104 plus or what elase ?

I'm considering a device using Linux as an OS.

It should consist of a custom PCB and a third party CPU PCB. This design
was chosen because using a CPU chip directly would force a redesign when
the particular chip will not be available any more. So an "industry
standard" bus system should be used to interface the custom PCB with the
CPU. Unfortunately the I/O performance needed exceeds what ISA bus could
offer. So PCI (or whatever) must be chosen.

An obvious choice would be PC/104 plus, but those CPU cards tend to be
very expensive.

Another idea is USB 2.x or Firewire. No idea about small CPU cards that
offer one of those.

Can anybody offer any additional suggestions ?

Thanks, Michael

Re: PC/104 plus or what elase ?
On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 11:07:50 +0100, Michael Schnell

How about ETX modules?  They're not PC104 sized, but they do put the
CPU and all the "hard to design" electronics on a module, leaving you
to design or buy the carrier board.  It has PCI support, and there are
a variety of boards from a variety of manufacturers (Advantech et al).

We're doing this with a new product of ours.
--
Alex Pavloff - remove BLAH to email
Software Engineer, ESA Technology

Re: PC/104 plus or what elase ?

Is the location of the PCI socket equally defined for different brands ?

We need to connect a board which will be much bigger than the CPU-Board
via the PCI socket. Any idea how to do that ?

Thanks, Michael

Re: PC/104 plus or what elase ?
On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 12:59:06 +0100, Michael Schnell

ETX is a standard.

http://www.etx-ig.com /

There are links there to the various mfgs.

Design your own carrier board with the PCI slot in the exact place
that you want it.  Then you can slot it whatever ETX CPU board you
want.
--
Alex Pavloff - remove BLAH to email
Software Engineer, ESA Technology

Re: PC/104 plus or what elase ?
Sounds good,

-Michael

Re: PC/104 plus or what elase ?

Heineken ?

Re: PC/104 plus or what elase ?

Maybe mini-itx or nano-itx?

Re: PC/104 plus or what elase ?

http://www.jkmicro.com/products/thinclient.html

Maybe?

Re: PC/104 plus or what elase ?

Is the location of the PCI socket equally defined for different brands ?

We need to connect a board which will be much bigger than the CPU-Board
via the PCI socket. Any idea how to do that ?

Thanks, Michael

Site Timeline