USB interface to a few bytes of flash..

I am trying to put together a small hot plug type backplane system for a project that I am working on and got the idea to use a USB bus for insertion and removal signaling. My idea is to place a USB interface on each option card that will plug in and use that to access a small amount of flash memory form the system controller.

This would get me a two things:

1) Notification of when an option card is interested and removed.

2) The ability to store a small amount of data on each option card that describes that cards features to the master controller (a Windows based PC) will know what features it has and how to talk to it.

Know, I know that I could use a few cheap USB flash drives for this but the problem is that they all show up in Windows as a separate disk drive and that limits me to the maximum number of devices that my buss can hold. That and I don't really need a file system, just a way to talk to a small amount of flash and read a few bytes of memory.

What I am really looking for is a device that acts sort of like those USB hardware keys that secure software like:

Does anyone have any leads to somewhere where I could locate a device like this?

-- Ray Buffalo, NY

Reply to
Ray Cassick (Home)

"> of flash and read a few bytes of memory.

Why is this better than just a pin or two on the card?

Reply to
Brian

Sorry for the confusion, but when I say 'card' I am really meaning something that plugs into the backplane but not really a circuit card. These add on devices are going to be more like appliances in a system, not all of them built by me, so I am not able to add a ton of circuitry to some of them. Some of them I am just adding on an adapter to the back of a short 1U chassis to adapt the connections to my backplane so I am looking for something that I can implement without tons of circuit board work or engineering.

Mind you if I have to go that way I will, but I would like to avoid it if I could at all.

Reply to
Ray Cassick (Home)

USB is probably overcomplicated for this, partly becasue you will need a hub with enough ports. If you really want to use USB, look at the new FT232R from FTDI

this has a

1kbit internal eeprom, some of which is available for user data.

I'd also suggest looking at i2c eeproms or the dallas 1-wire bus parts.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

It's not USB, but the Dallas 1-Wire might be what you are looking for. Small devices, each with an guaranteed unique serial number plus additional storage - OTP or EEPROM. Needs only Ground and combined Power/Data line and would easily fit into a jack plug. Comes also packaged as iButtons.

See

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Frank-Christian Krügel

Reply to