Interfacing S1D13A04 Epson LCD controller chip to Atmel AP7001 EBI

Hello--

I'm in the process of designing a new embedded system using the Atmel AP700x series of 32-bit embedded processors. There are currently three processors in this series: (1) AP7000, (2) AP7001, and (3) AP7002. Both the AP7000 and AP7001 have BGA packages and integrated LCD controllers. The AP7001 is packaged in a 208-LQFP, and does not include an integrated LCD controller.

Here are links to datasheets for the AP7001:

I am wondering if it would be possible to glue an LCD controller to the EBI of the AP7001. In the past, I've conducted a very unhappy experiment with the Epson S1D13A04 LCD controller:

I created two separate PCBs with the AP7001 and the S1D13A04 display controller, but with different EBI bus wirings.

Unfortunately, with both PCBs, the Epson S1D13A04 Display controller became very hot during operation, and the EBI bus "jammed" so that the AP7001 processor would not boot.

I had only SDRAM and flash wired to the EBI bus.

Both embedded systems ran U-Boot and Linux. After removing the display controller using some Chip-Quik solder, the system ran normally and would boot up just fine.

Here's my previous bus wirings:

NOTE: THESE ARE THE CONNECTIONS WHICH MADE THE DISPLAY CONTROLLER VERY HOT! DO NOT USE!

In the wiring diagram below, "X" indicates "no connection."

AP7001 ====> EPSON S1D13A04 A[17:1] AB[17:1] X AB0 pulled down to GND D[15:0] DB[15:0] NWAIT #WAIT #RESET #RESET NRD RD/#WR and #RD (same as AT91RM9200-EK) NWE1 #WE1 NWE0 #WE0 X #BS pulled up to 3.3V A18 M/#R NCS3 #CS pulled up to 3.3V

Because the AP700x EBI bus appears to be very similar to the bus on a

32-bit ARM, I am thinking that it would not be too difficult to wire up a display controller.

So here's two questions:

(1) What is the best way to wire up the Epson S1D13A04?

(2) Could someone recommend an alternate display controller which is known to work on Linux (and has available display controllers)?

Could anyone suggest an alternative or workaround?

Nicholas

Reply to
Nicholas Kinar

Some work has been done interfacing the Etrax processor to the Epson S1D13A04:

However, is the Etrax processor EBI bus similar to the AP700x EBI bus?

Nicholas

Nicholas K> Hello--

Nicholas Kinar

Would suggest you start by modifying one of these PCB's to de-assert all relevant chip selects to the LCD controller and get it so that the processor can boot w/o overheating the LCD chip. Then start figuring out what you need to make them talk.

Reply to
cs_posting

Thanks; I'll try this. I would wonder if a FPGA might be useful in trying to figure out the hook-ups.

Reply to
Nicholas Kinar

A little CPLD to run the control signals could be useful, but since you already made a board, I'd get a knife and fine wire and a soldering iron and see what I could do with that, rather than suffer the cost / delay of making a new PCB while still being uncertain what it needs to do.

Reply to
cs_posting

Sure, I'll give this a try. I'm going to have to practice keeping my hand steady and I'll also have to use a good magnifier.

Reply to
Nicholas Kinar