Audio with AT91SAM7

I've been looking for a capable chip to do audio processing. I'm a hobbyist but I'm looking for something I could develop on and then take to (very) small scale production, it would serve as the FX processor in an audio amp.

Mainly the dsPIC33 FJ128GP802 got my attention because it has a 16bit audio DAC on board. I would however like more RAM and even more processing power so I was looking at the AT91SAM7S256 board from Olimex, since it has more RAM, runs faster, has 32bit architecture (makes coding easier)... but lacks decent AD/DA (10 bit AD is a bit limited for audio).

What would be the best way to get audio in and out of this chip?? Are there any codecs/converters you'd recommend that have SPI or I2C connectivity (the chip does not support I2S)

Are there other chips I should be looking at? Remember, I want to stay away from SMT and prefer DIP, I'm hoping you know of someone who makes a header board (similar to the Olimex) with a good chip, needs at least 32kb RAM, and >40MIPS with A/D and D/A suited for audio, if I'm going to choose it over the dsPIC.

The dsPIC

The ARM header board

--------------------------------------- This message was sent using the comp.arch.embedded web interface on

valdiorn

Circuit Cellar Ink has run a project built around a dsPIC33, using a T.I. PCM3060 for analogdigital conversion. Details are under

and ftp://ftp.circuitcellar.com/pub/Circuit_Cellar/2008/220/ .

Mel.

Reply to
Mel

Op Fri, 27 Nov 2009 14:49:00 +0100 schreef valdiorn :

Depends on your sample rate. Remember DSD?

SPI is nearly perfect for DSD. All you need is a clock generator for the input.

http://www.opera.com/mail/
(remove the obvious prefix to reply by mail)
Reply to
Boudewijn Dijkstra

Look at STM32 Arm Cortex - latest parts have I2S for proper audio interface. ST offer free DSP and audio processing software to get started. All these chips are SM - just bite the bullet (insisting on DIP will hold you back). There are some cheap dev kits around.

Michael Kellett

Reply to
MK