How to download uClinux on Virtex4 Board.

Hi All,

Have anybody tried downloading uClinux on Virtex4 board.We have got the bsp sources from

and the hardware from

We have generated the bit stream using EDK6.3.02.But don't know how to compile the kernel(uclinux) and download it.It would be very helpful if anyone could explain the steps to be followed to bring up the shell of uClinux.

Thanks & Regards, Ivan

Reply to
ivan

Get the ucLinux source from CVS. See

Than apply the patches from Johns web site:

read through the Read me file in the distro you just obtained, or look through Johns site for instructions how to build the kernel.

It takes a few tries to get it right ...

PS: don't use "-jN" option to the makefile to built ucLinux - thats broken ...

Good Luck, rudi ============================================================= Rudolf Usselmann, ASICS World Services,

Your Partner for IP Cores, Design, Verification and Synthesis

Reply to
Rudolf Usselmann

you will require few steps before you start compile kernel

1) downlaod and install microblaze gcc tool chain from
2) and get the kernel like Rudolf Usselmann 3) you modify "PARAMETER target_dir" pointing to the ~dir_to_your_uclinux_/linux-2.4.x /arch/microblaze/platform/uclinux-auto in the system.mss 4) build the hardware
5)build kernel
For a first build, it is advised to use only the generic uClinux MTD mapping. In the kernel config menu, under "Memory Technology Devices Settings" -> "Mapping drivers for chip access", select only the "Generic uClinux RAM/ROM filesystem support".
Reply to
Jason Wu

Hi,

Thanks for all the inputs.I could compile the kernal successfully.But when I download the same into the ML401 board with harware downloaded from the site,XMD reports the error regarding address mapping.The kernal comiled is supposed to load at location 0x8000_0000 and in the hardware does not exist.How can I over-come this issue.Do anyone have a compiled image for ML401 board.Both the .bit and .elf file.

Any inputs at the earliest will be highly appreciated.

Thanks & Regards, Ivan

Reply to
ivan

Tried asking on the uclinux microblaze email list ? link on

Alex Gibson