Altera Cyclone Processor

Hi!

I have very little (almost nothing ) experience working with Altera Cyclone II kit, but I have a problem and looking to find a solution to a problem.

I want to use a processor for building automation and transmitting data over web. Now one option is integrating sensors over zigbee, using MODBUS and other TCP protocols, may be DALI. This project might also involve integrating with gateways nd modems. Now some of the decisions have to be coded in real time based on the conditions of the region, like ambient temperature etc.

I am debating between use of plug computers over FPGA. Could someone suggest how an FPGA could be a better option. I am looking for a solution that could incorporate conditions like limited electric connection, mostly powered by solar or battery.

regards Arindam

Reply to
Topol

I see nothing in your description that would make me thing an FPGA is a better solution than general purpose processors. If you want to make your device very low power, consider one of the very low power FPGAs like the SiliconBlue devices which are now sold by Lattice Semi as ICE40. I think they still sell the older devices as ICE65, but I'm not sure. The ICE40 parts are not yet in full volume production and I think the ICE 65 devices are deprecated.

Rick

Reply to
rickman

You don't mention how much FPGA experience you have overall. Don't underestimate the effort reuqired to get up to speed, particularly if your application is complex. Some FPGA structures require a very large amount of effort to implement, the standard practice is to use IP cores which are an entire other story.

The main reason you'd want to consider gate arrays is bandwidth. If you can do what you want with a Turing style machine, I'd try very hard to go that route.

I don't think the Cyclone IIs are particularly energy-frugal.

Reply to
Bruce Varley

Processors embedded in an FPGA work well if you mostly need an FPGA, but you have some software-ish stuff that needs done, too.

While there are plenty of folks out there with different experiences in this, in my experience we've always ended up with just a processor, just an FPGA, or an FPGA connected to a "real" processor as a peripheral.

Whatever else you do, for a given amount of processing power and capacity, an FPGA will burn more money and power than a separate microprocessor.

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to
Tim Wescott