5V board in a 3.3V PCI slot

Hi, I have a problem with a Dialogic board "DM/IP301-1e1-PCI". I installed that board in a Piv 1.6Ghz Mainboard D845WN and I can't do it starts. The board's power requirements are 22.5W @ 5V, and using PC Wizard I see that the PCI slot used by the Dialogic board has this description: "In Use (32-bit) 3.3v". Is this a problem? Does the board fail to start by this reason? Can I make the board and the Mainboard compatible? thanks! Bye

Reply to
marco p.

I am almost sure you don't have any 3.3V on your PCI Slot.

We have designed over 10 different PCI cards for different custom projects based on our komodo board. On the first prototyping board we were using both 5V and 3.3V from the PCI Slot. Now all our new PCI boards use only 5V. Why? just because a large part of motherboards *DO NOT PROVIDE* 3.3V on the PCI slots.

See our Komodo picture to find where is B side (slot side) and A side

You can verify your 3.3V on PCI finger pin no B-25 B- for B side B-31 B-36 B-41 B-43 B-54 A-21 A- for A side A_27 A-33 A-39 A-45 A-53

Just take time to measure the voltage on one of these point !!!

Laurent Gauch

------------ And now a word from our sponsor --------------------- For a secure high performance FTP using SSL/TLS encryption upgrade to SurgeFTP

---- See

----

Reply to
Amontec Team

Hi Marco.

When a PCI card or slot is defined as 3.3V or 5V, it is describing the voltage used for signalling (what voltage is used to drive the address/ data and control lines). However, other voltages can be used as a power source. In particular, the PCI spec says that 3.3V slots must also provide power on the 5V power supply lines. This allows the card to, for example, use 5V for the back end logic even though it talks across the PCI bus at 3.3V.

The notch in the gold fingers only allow you to plug the correct type of card (3.3V, 5V or universal) into the slot, so you don't have to worry about that being wrong.

Having said that, I've seen at least one IBM server with 3.3V slots which violated the PCI spec. It didn't provide the 5V supply to the PCI cards. Checking the motherboard specs should resolve this though.

Regards, Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------ Steve Schefter phone: +1 705 725 9999 x26 The Software Group Limited fax: +1 705 725 9666

642 Welham Road, Barrie, Ontario CANADA L4N 9A1 Web:
Steve Schefter

This varies with the type of PCI card you want to design.

The PCI spec says that 3.3V slots must provide both 3.3V and 5V power supplies. However, it also says that 5V slots do not have to provide

3.3V supply lines. I've seen the odd motherboard with 5V slots which had 3.3V supplies, but you are right they're rare.

So if you are designing either a 5V or a universal PCI card, it would be a bad idea to use the 3.3V supply (other than VI/O). But if you are designing a 3.3V card, the 3.3V supply can be used. Our customers are telling us that it's getting harder and harder to find a server (non- desktop) with 5V slots anymore.