why do we use these

I had no one to answer my questions when I was eight years old, so I read every book I could find, including college textbooks. I was working part time in a TV shop at 13, and I still do my best to keep up,

40+ years later.
prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

======================================================= All you old dinosaurs over 50 that use plain text and newsgroups: The answer was indeed in his textbook. The internet is undoubtedly his primary textbook. Doesnt he get any points for seeking the counsel of the silverbacks on S.E.B.?

Reply to
BobG

The same credit he would get if he tried to copy the answers off someone else's exam or sat on his ass and tried to get someone else to do his assigned tasks.

The former would get him a zero

--with other consequences likely, possibly expulsion-- and the latter would get him fired.

Reply to
JeffM

Of course not. The point of pretty much all college education is not simply to come up with the right answers, but to teach the student how to get those answers ON THEIR OWN - whether that involves running the calculations yourself, or simply knowing what references to turn to. But other people don't fall into the category of acceptable other references - because I can guarantee you that once this person (with luck) graduates and tries to start work as an engineer or technician, turning to the person next to you and asking "would you solve this problem for me?" isn't going to cut it. It doesn't matter whether the "text" you need to look in is a book, the Net, or carved stone tablets; the point is that YOU yourself are supposed to be learning how to dig this stuff up when you need it.

It's perfectly fine to ask the sort of questions that are going to lead to a better understanding of a given point - but it's not OK to ask what is obviously the equivalent of "would you fill in this blank for me?"

Bob M.

Reply to
Bob Myers

This is, in fact how data compression is accomplished. Since ones are skinnier than zeros, you can install a bit grate in the data stream to trap the ones. Let the zeros pass through to oblivion and use the ones as the new data stream.

...jerry

Reply to
Jerry R

You are evil. I am impressed.

Cheers

PeteS

Reply to
PeteS

==================================== So Mike... I guess you are the neighborhood electronics fixit guy... folks bring their radios over to have the tubes checked and the IF tweaked? Have a workshop with a scope and signal generator and stuff?

Reply to
BobG

up,

Not anymore. At my last job I worked on $80,000 (US) telemetry receivers as an engineering tech. I never "tweaked" IFs. I bought a signal generator and VTVM back in the '60s to do proper alignment, when needed. I repaired Commercial two way radios at one time, and I was a broadcast engineer in both Radio and TV (WACX, 5 MW EIRP, 1749 foot tower)

Most of my test equipment was destroyed during the hurricanes a couple years ago, and I still need to replace the roof on both shop buildings before I even consider setting up a couple full benches, again. The benches are covered in plastic, and unusable right now.

I am 100% disabled now, and can only stand a couple hours a day, which makes a lot of what I want to do impossible. I spend my time repairing computers and giving them away, to try to stay busy.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

A composite signal generator generates a composite signal. A zero crossing detector detects a zero-crossing at its input. A comparator compares two signals.

Hope This Helps! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise