PIC12F675 Zero crossing

Hi,

Which interrupt pin is the best to use zero-crossing interrupt for PIC12F675? Can i use any pin with Interrupt on Change (IOC) ? Most of the application notes for other PIC they use RB0. any suggestion please?

and what would be the best value of resister to put in for zero- crossing detection GPIO pin?

And what would be the best delay time to measure AC sine wave after zero crossing to get best RMS value? 2ms?

Regards,

Bandu

Reply to
Bandu

I guess you could, but there are quirks in the way that IOC works on most PICs. If you are running (not sleeping), you can miss changes if a changes. See the datasheet.

It's my favorite way to trigger a PIC. :-) It has a Schmitt trigger so that's usually helpful. It always works right.

I suppose that would depend upon the voltage you are monitoring, you're not thinking of connecting a pin straight to AC mains are you? I don't mean to be rude, but if you are asking about this then maybe you shouldn't be doing it. It's dangerous, it can kill you, yada yada yada.

I guess you _are_ talking about AC mains. You probably need to determine this empirically with an oscilloscope to see where the PIC actually triggers. I would expect that variations are likely to occur between individual PICs, but probably nothing all that significant since the voltage rise is so steep at 120V or 240V (depending upon where you live). Be careful. If you really want to live on the edge, Microchip has an ap note showing how to do this. IIRC, they also power the PIC from the AC using a dropping capacitor, might have been a resistor though. Like I said, be careful, you CAN be killed. I'm sure Phil will be along shortly to warn you in his own special way.

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

es.

ot

ng

age

you

Thanks Anthony, I really appretiate your warning. I'm trying to trigger directly from AC mains. I understand the consequences of electrocuting myself. :)

Do you think i can use GP2 interrupt? I'm trying to built an application that trigger when AC voltage fall into some level. i'm using AC 240V. I detect it using GP5 for zero crossing and i use resistor dividor to lower down AC...feed it to ADC... it work fine... i read it after 2ms of ZeroX..but its look like unreliable...sometimes it reading wrong value... i'm quite sure ADC reading is fine but trigger might not be that accurate for reading....instead of IOC can I use GP2 interrupt? which is better? i want to use 12F675 becoz its 8-DIP and so cheap. The other things is Oscilloscope are so expensive for me... so i'm doing it trial and error using my old multimeter... :( I don't need that too accuracy on read that volt =B12VAC would b fine ... but i want to read it reliably... so i can set a trigger point on a voltage...

Regards,

thanks

Reply to
Bandu