p-channel mosfet basic question

Hi all -

I've got a 2N5462 device that I'm trying to set up as a basic high-side switch. I just want to turn on an LED to show the basic circuit connection and have the MOSFET swtich it on and off with a toggle switch on the gate. I connected the source to a +5VDC source, the gate through a 100-ohm resistor to ground, the drain to a resistor connected to an LED to ground. I put a toggle switch with a series 10K resistor from the +5VDC line to the gate.

When I turn on the circuit power, the LED lights up without the toggle switch pushed. I looked at the voltage on the gate and its sitting at around 3.5VDC. Without the switch pushed, the gate should be pulled low through the 100-ohm resistor. Why is it this high? Do I have this connected incorrectly? Is the 2N5462 device actually an P-channel MOSFET (as described in one datasheet) or a JFET amplifier (as described in another datasheet)?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

According to this data sheet:

It is a p-channel jfet that is on when the gate is at source voltage and off when the gate is about 1.2 volts more positive than the source. This is not the device you need for a high side switch.

You need something more like:

or a pnp transistor like 2N3906:

John Popelish

Why a fet ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

According to my search, the 2N5462 is a P-channel JFET

Not really suitable as a highside switch.

If you want to use a FET, find a P-Channel MOSFET.

Cheers

PeteS

Reply to
PeteS

My bad...

Many thanks to those that replied.

I got the device by looking for a P-Channel MOSFET but apparently I picked the wrong part.

Dave

Reply to
Dave