Multiple DSL connections on one phone line

I have a phone line that enters at one end of a house and has a double plate for the usual 2 phone connections in the room. I want to locate an Internet radio near that plate and to have a DSL connection there for that radio. In the next room, about 16' away from the same radio, I have a computer and I want it to use the DSL also.

An RJ45 Ethernet cable (usually about 4' to 5' in length) is needed to connect the DSL modem to the radio or to the computer. Is there a wiring scheme that will work with one modem or are two modems needed?

Thanks for the help.

Reply to
JD

You need a router to network them. Something like the Linksys BEFSR41:

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.
Reply to

You might consider picking up a router. You'll connect the single modem you have to the router, then the router will connect both the computer and internet radio. But, take a look at the ip address that your computer thinks it has, (Start -> Run ->

type in CMD click ok.. in the black box type IPCONFIG. If your IP ADDRESS is a 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x then you are already behind a router that may be built into the modem.... in that case you'll just need a 10/100 hub to connect both the computer and radio to the internet. This is basic home networking.

Most modems will require a power down and power up in order to talk to a router.

--

--------------------------------- --- -- - Posted with NewsLeecher v3.8 Final Web @

------------------- ----- ---- -- -

Reply to
Anonymous

Get a router.

Reply to
Jamie

Yes, I have the 192.168.......

I prefer wired to wireless in routers. Could a second DSL modem be used? If not then, a wired router would be my choice. I already use a firewall, so would another one be needed?

I could probably handle that. You'll probably hear a lot of screaming if it doesn't work for me. ;-)

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
JD

Thank you Michael for your help.

The Linksys you mentioned costs $80

I found a much less expensive Dell D-Link wired router at:

EBR-2310 4-Port Ethernet Broadband Router.

Cost is $42+

Problem is the note on the page: Works with Windows Vista "Software and devices that carry the Works with Windows Vista logo have been tested for baseline compatibility with PC's running." I use Win2000. I tried to find more info but they always want some kind of tag or code, which I have not.

Reply to
JD

Thanks, I'm trying.

Reply to
JD

I would definitely NOT recommend Linksys. Recent models have been cost-reduced to the point of not working any more. I'm about ready to put my Netgear out on the sidewalk too because it's so buggy.

Some modems already have built-in routers. If so, just add a simple WAP. A WAP has very little functionality so there's very little to go wrong with it.

Kevin McMurtrie

That is just a comforting note for those who use Vista, since many things don't work with Vista.

A router should work with computers using any operating system, or even any mix of operating systems.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca

They can be bought for a lot less. i saw one on the local craigslist for $15 last week. Also, Check the refurbished units at 'Best Buy' and other outlet stores. Usually under half price.

When I bought the original version of that router it was $179.

Greed is the root of all eBay.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I've had my Linksys WRT54G for about five years. It replaced the single port version of the BEFSR41, the BEFSR11 when I needed wireless, and that was used for about five years. In case you haven't noticed, all computer hardware is barely worth taking home these days.

The WAP is a wireless router minus the software and extra Ethernet ports. The only thing less in hardware is the switch and Ethernet connectors.

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.
Reply to

Thanks all for the good guidance.

Reply to
JD

you can have multiple DSL connections but it's not like that it's multiple virtual channels to a single DSL router. (no use to you)

there are other products that can push ethernet over phone lines but wi-fi is probably the best solution for you if you don't want to drill a 5/8" hole in the wall to poke a "RJ45" cable through. (or a 1/4" hole if you're prepared to replace the plug on one end)

those cables are available in lengths upto 164' if you shop around.

get a modem with an internal router and switch (or get an external router and/or switch)

then you'll have several "RJ45" sockets so you can cable to both the computer and the radio.

Jasen Betts

I don't need to use both the radio and the computer at the same time. They are in different rooms and I have not learned how to be in two rooms at the same time, yet. I'm working on that too ;-)

There is already a hole in that wall, so I need an RJ45 cable about

20' long with plugs. The radio would be near the modem and if I had a switchbox there, a flick would shut off the radio and send the signals to the computer.

Thanks for the info

.....and retire my present modem?

I'll need to chew on this for a bit. Thanks again for your suggestions. :-)

Have a great weekend!

Reply to
JD

Just as I was about to buy from NewEgg a 4-port D-Link external router for my computer I found that I already had a Gigabyte Desktop Adapter with info: 2.4GHz, 802.11b/g, 54Mbps. Basically it is an antenna attached to a PCI card, so I guess the computer must be running if I want to listen to my Internet radio ???

Last night I temporarily moved the DSL modem to the radio and it worked very nicely.

Had another thought. If I buy the D-Link router - it is a box external to the computer - will it function if the computer is off and I want to use the radio? The following is about the router:

"Perfect for home or small office use, the D-Link EBR-2310 offers superior connectivity and excellent security at a price that's just right. With four 10/100Mbps Ethernet connectors, the EBR-2310 can connect up to four PCs or other network devices. Advanced switching technology effectively and efficiently manages your network traffic so that your data keeps flowing, no matter how much of it there is. "

So I guess the router will work ok when the computer is down.

TIA

Reply to
JD

Yes, A wireless router works with out the computer. you will need to use the computer to set it up how ever. things like the WAB security log on for wireless connections etc.. Unless you want to leave it opened! :) Many would love you for that!,. Free internet!

Reply to
Jamie

I bought a D-Link 4 port wired router and am very pleased with it. Now I am struggling with the Aluratek Internet radio, especially the Jukebox. Has anyone conquered this Radio/Jukebox pair?

TIA

Reply to
JD

CONCLUSION:

The D-Link router works like a charm.

The Aluratek was a piece of trash and I returned it. Now all I need is a great Internet Radio -

Reply to
JD