water analogy- a simple calculator

Of course I don't. People disagree with things because they don't like them, because they think they're wrong. Duh.

and have demonstrated

I've taught basic electricity, electronics, and programming to lots of people. They generally say that I make it very clear. I make sure everybody gets it before I move on. I don't invoke plumbing. There's no hydraulic equivalent of an electric or magnetic field, and fields are where teaching electricity starts.

I did teach one course on simulating dynamic systems with computers. One assignment was to simulate a toilet tank filling up, graphing level versus time. Everybody got it right.

John

I could never understand how, in a CRT, the current knows exactly which pixel to leap off of to go exactly through the deflection circuitry, to end up at the cathode.

Clairvoyance? ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Okay:

Supply ------------+ [hose Bibb] | | [R]

Reply to
Rich Grise

No, that's an identity.

An analogy is like, "time flies like an arrow." ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Generalizations don't mean much.

John

John Larkin:

No, I did not mean to imply that *you* are stupid.

Reply to
F. Bertolazzi

John Larkin:

Yes, that's the point. It is, at the end of the lesson, or, better, it seems to be. But, a few months later...

Reply to
F. Bertolazzi

John Larkin:

Uh?

Reply to
F. Bertolazzi

--
I think, in your case, that you don't like things you disagree with
because you're afraid that they might prove you wrong, and in that

John Larkin:

Things you can't feel and touch don't mean anything, after few months (or days or even hours).

If, after a Larkin's lectio magistralis you don't touch and feel it by an oscilloscope or a meter, you're going to forget it, unless you already wandered about what you touched and felt.

With an ammeter or a wet brother.

Reply to
F. Bertolazzi

Rich Grise:

Kicks in their butt and being... charged on the side

LOL.

Reply to
F. Bertolazzi

This is a joke, right?

Personally, I don't see what a dashpot does, but damp (much like a snubber). The only analog to an inductor I can think of would be a positive-displacement turbine (like a gear pump) and a flywheel.

Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Yes, and 96.4% of statistics are made up on the spot. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Confucius taught: ?I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.? --- google ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Uh? Can you?

John

Friction results in zero motion until some threshold amount of force is applied. And sliding friction drag mostly depends on normal force but not velocity. I don't know of any electrical phenom that behaves like that.

The PM in the tube thing is more like viscoscity; no force threshold for motion, and drag increases with velocity.

John

Eddy current? Drop a PM down a non-magnetic conductible tube and see it drop slowly.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

They start filling linearly, until the level hits the float and the feed valve starts to close. Then, with the simplified model I gave them, the fill becomes exponential forever, asymptotic to the line on the inside of the tank. It's a nice exercize, because everybody can go home and flush and see it happen.

John

Of course most people will forget the basic lessons if they don't use it regularly. But then, they may as well. No point cluttering your brain with stuff you don't intend to use. They made me study French, which I forgot as soon as I could.

The point of introductory EE is to get people doing the math from the very start. Because they will be helpless if they can't do the math. Analogies don't help there.

John

"And fruit flies like a banana." ;)

Phil Hobbs

--