Simple Water temp circuit?

Howdy all, I have an old mac-jac water temperature finder that is not working. It has a sealed meter that has three connections for the thermocouple? wire (approx 200' of it). The thermocouple is connected between gnd and one side of the meter. the other side of the meter has a

9v battery in series with a momentary switch. It also has two wires that come out to a pot. There is nothing on the other end of the thermocouple wire but it is two different metals. I have tried creating a junction at the tip and get full deflection when the circuit is engaged. The pot will allow some adjustment but not to below 80f degrees. Any ideas as to what I am missing to make this work? thanks, Gary
Reply to
Gary L. Woodruff