Using a microchip PIC to play streamed wav data ?

Hi,

is it possible to use a PIC - 16C84 - for playing wav or mp3 streamed data ? I have got information about small decoder chips for mp3 data.

Thanks

Lothar

Reply to
lothar.behrens

There are a couple of pic projects that use MP3. I don't know of any using the 16C84, that's an older chip that has been replaced, Microchip doesn't sell them anymore, at least not from their website.

Reply to
Geodanah

Thanks.

My idea was for an answering machine on a Linux box. It should only play 'lowlevel' audio data if data files from the 'answering machine' exists.

So the PIC should get the number of calls and let the user play them by pressing one button and delete them by another button.

Maybe the simplest way would be an infra red coupled PIC device and using the pc speaker to play the sound.

That way I don't need to switch on my work PC to check my mail for some calls :-)

Lothar

Reply to
lothar.behrens