Unite 0V outputs from different power supplies

Hello

We are making some changes in an installation, and there are some machines, everyone with its power supplies, +24VDC and +5VDC. I would like to unit the 0V signal of all the power supplies in order to use any power supply present in the installation. Is it enough to unit physically all the 0V outtputs? Can I have any problem doing it?

Reply to
Haritztolete

In general it doesn't sound like a good idea but you didn't provide enough info

How much power, how would the power supply from one machine power another. You can NOT just ties the +24v and +5v from each machine together. What is being powered - electronics of some kind presumably. What kind of distances are involved. Why do you want to do this?

Dan

--
Dan Hollands
1120 S Creek Dr

Haritztolete kirjoitti:

Very generally speaking, yes, it is possible to use a common 0V (ground/GND) for devices and some supplies. For a common ground you might use heavy copper braid or copper bus bars.

If it actually is a good idea depends on your setup.

Paralleling the outputs of the PSUs (+24's together etc) however is rarely a good idea.

Potentially, lots of :) But it depends on PSU type, what power levels we're talking about (machines & PSUs), distance, stationary or moving, is there (non-balanced or non-isolated) signalling between the machines, etc.

- Jan

Reply to
Jan Wagner

If the 0v outputs are already connected to the protective ground then there will be no harm caused.

If not you could have short cuircuits, ground loops, and all sorts of problems appear with this setup.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen Betts

Generally, avoid this. It can cause problems. If you really MUST do it, get someone who is skilled at solving problems with paralleling and with ground loops to assist you.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson