TV remote has random actions when pushing buttons

My TV remote for a Westinghouse lcd tv is acting strangely.

The power button generally works.

The channel button will go on channel at a time or go thru all the channels.

Sometimes hitting one button will result in another function occuring.

I tried shutting off all other devices near the tv.

Another remote for a radio has a power button that works on the tv.

I changed the batteries.

The buttons on the TV all work.

I have not thrown the remote. :-)

Any other ideas?

Andy

Reply to
AK

** Open the case, if you can, and try cleaning the PCB and pads.

Sounds to me like the unit has gotten wet or otherwise suffered from a spillage.

Normally, cleaning with warm water and a little detergent ( like washing the dishes ) does the job, then rinse and thoroughly dry with hot air from a hair dryer.

FYI:

Electronic grade cleaning fluids are no use against most drink and foodstuffs.

And human vomit.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Take it apart. You are looking for a tiny spec of debris which is fouling one of the keys. If you can't see one, blow it out anyway and re- assemble. Normally works.

Cursitor Doom

I open them up and wash the circuit board case and keypad in hot water and dish detergent. Dry slowly and thoroughly in a warm oven on paper towels and re-assemble them. (sans batteries, of course, and a tooth brush is good for getting in the nooks and crannies.

Reply to
default

I did that and also used isopropy alcohol and dried with the shown paper napkin.

Two of the buttons separated. I used E-6000 glue last time, but I am out.

It keeps the button in position while allowing it to press down on the board.

There may be some name for that design.

Was wondering if the cheap dollar store glue would work?

Andy

Reply to
AK

There are lots for sale on eBay for less than $10, tax/tip/shipping included. Some even look like they might have identical keyboard layouts.

Reply to
jfeng

I'd use either super-glue (cyanoacrylate) or some silicon glue, but I've never seen buttons that separate from the pad assembly before. I doubt the store it is purchased at matters very much.

You might be beating a dead horse there, and a new remote might be the better choice. The membrane of the keypad also forms a water/dirt barrier, so a repair may not seal it adequately.

How long have you been using that remote?

Reply to
default

It is working now. The buttons started tearing a little and eventually came off.

After the cleanup, it works great.

I will put a small amount of flexible glue around the button to keep it from rolling off the remote.

It is not in an environment where it might get under water or sprayed with water or a cleaner.

It's actually the second remote which I did buy on Ebay for about $8.

Have a great evening and it's early to bed for me as I have neck surgery tomorrow.

Andy

Reply to
AK

Good luck there. Big deal or minor surgery? So you've been fasting too?

My wife was just in for some minor throat thing or other; I was impressed with the anesthesia they used. She was fully out of it, breathing machines, monitoring, the whole nine yards. They gave her a shot and told me she'd wake in a few minutes.

She did was woozy and incoherent for a bit and in ten minutes she was dressing herself and ready to leave.

Reply to
default

They are fusing two cervical vertebra. They use sterilized cadaver bone and attach it to my existing bone with titanium screws.

Won't set off metal detector. No discernible loss of neck motion.

They use a 1 1/2 inch incision and go thru my throat.

Much safer than old days when they went thru the back of the neck.

Andy

Reply to
AK