Sony KV-20TS27 20 inch TV tuner failure?

I have a Sony KV-20TS27 trinitron TV, made in February 1992. It displays UHF channels and the composite video fine, but doesn't display VHF channels. Actually, it seems to display them intermittently; haven't tested it thoroughly, but it seems that the VHF channels work when the TV has been running for a while and heated up.

Is this a VHF tuner failure? How can I fix it myself?

Thanks!

Reply to
rkm0

I have a Sony KV-20TS27 trinitron TV, made in February 1992. It displays UHF channels and the composite video fine, but doesn't display VHF channels. Actually, it seems to display them intermittently; haven't tested it thoroughly, but it seems that the VHF channels work when the TV has been running for a while and heated up.

Is this a VHF tuner failure? How can I fix it myself?

Thanks!

Reply to
rkm0

I have a Sony KV-20TS27 trinitron TV, made in February 1992. It displays UHF channels and the composite video fine, but doesn't display VHF channels. Actually, it seems to display them intermittently; haven't tested it thoroughly, but it seems that the VHF channels work when the TV has been running for a while and heated up.

Is this a VHF tuner failure? How can I fix it myself? Perhaps something as simple as a failed solder joint?

Thanks!

Reply to
rkm0

[...]

What was the question again ?

Reply to
kip

It's your nickel, keep talking!!!

TV tuners are very difficult and very precise to troubleshoot. You could remove the tuner, open it, and see if there are any cold solder connections inside. It is possible that when soldering to some of the circuits, they can get put out of alignment.

Without the proper equipment, and training, TV tuners are not something you can easily service. Normally, the tuner is replaced as a module in the TV set because of cost efficiency. Your tuner should still be available from any Sony parts dealer.

--

JANA _____

Is this a VHF tuner failure? How can I fix it myself? Perhaps something as simple as a failed solder joint?

Thanks!

Reply to
JANA

If you think the tuner is bad and don't have the equipment and experience to troubleshoot it you can change it, but I would not try to get a new tuner from Sony. It will be rather expensive. You can likely get a rebuilt one from Tip Top in Reseda CA for $27 including shipping to you if you return the dud to them. Add $25 if you don't return the dud. You will need the Sony number off of the tuner.

Leonard

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

these tuners usually have bad grounds try squeezing the cover of the tuner a few times..that can clean the contacts for alittle while anyway...

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Thanks, guys. I'll try replacing the tuner module as suggested. Sorry about the multiple copies of the original post -- I was posting through Google Groups and it went silly on me; I did delete the extra copies, but not fast enough, apparently.

Reply to
rkm0