Trouble with monitor

Hi Guys Is anyone in this group knowledgeable about computer Monitors. If so I have a question. I have a 4 1\\2 year old 19 inch Monitor (tube type) by ViewSonic for awhile now the display has being somewhat dime. I have the brightness at 100% and it?s still hard to make out parts of a jpg that have dark colours in them. In your opinion is the monitor worth fixing. If it?s a component that could be changed for around $100 I would get it fixed or is this type of problem related to the picture tube itself. Thanks for any advice Nikki

Reply to
Nikki

Thanks Nikki

Reply to
Nikki

Wrong newsgroup. You are looking for news:sci.electronics.repair

--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

For $100.00, it's a judgement call whether you want to get this one fixed, or just pick up a new one. CRT monitors are dirt-cheap these days, now that everybody's going flat-screen.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

just replease it

Reply to
will-mei

If it's only 4 1/2 yrs old I wouldn't expect the tube to be knackered.

Low brightness may indicate a power supply problem for example.

See if you can get a quote to establish the fault first.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

If the monitor was in continuous service over that period, that's over 35k hours - way beyond the typical time-to-half-bright for a CRT. This sounds like a classic worn-out tube; upping the internal brightness adjustment (as opposed to the external "user" control, which is typically limited in range) will help temporarily, but that tube's definitely on the way out and nothing can be done to truly "fix" it.

For what CRT monitors - or even LCDs - cost these days, the only cost-effective answer is junk-and-replace.

Bob M.

Reply to
Bob Myers

about computer Monitors.

inch Monitor (tube type) by ViewSonic for

somewhat dime. I have the brightness

parts of a jpg that have dark

worth fixing. If it's

would get it fixed

itself.

knackered.

If the monitor was in continuous service over that period, that's over 35k hours - way beyond the typical time-to-half-bright for a CRT. This sounds like a classic worn-out tube; upping the internal brightness adjustment (as opposed to the external "user" control, which is typically limited in range) will help temporarily, but that tube's definitely on the way out and nothing can be done to truly "fix" it.

For what CRT monitors - or even LCDs - cost these days, the only cost-effective answer is junk-and-replace.

Bob M.

Reply to
Bob Myers

I have an old viewsonic here (sticker on the back says "June 1999"), I got it gratis, it its previous life it was displaing some diagnostic 24/7 so there's a bit of burn in and the image was dim, too dim to read easily in a well lit room.

I took the back off and after a 30 minute warm-up turned up the screen and adjusted the focus controls. works great now. (except for the burn in but it's just rectangular patches near the edges and easy to ignore.)

screen and focus controls are on the side of the flyback transformer, (black plastic thing other end of the wire attached to the rubber "sucker" looking thing on the top of the picture tube) there's dangerous voltages in that area so work with one hand only (and don't rest the other on an earthed PC case for example)

I used a clamp and a piece of wood to stabalise the front of the monitor so as not to put too much stress on the circuit board.

I also used rigid platic to support the circuit board (CD cases etc) but mainly because my working surface was contaminaated with metal particles.

I used an insullated screwdriver to adjust the controls - mainly to keep my hands away from the live parts the controls are insulated.

screen is like a master brightness control one good way to set is it to turn the brightness up to about 10% and display an image with mostly black (full-screen text mode console in windows or linux is a easy one) and then in a mostly darkened room turn the screen down until it stops glowing.

focus is, well, focus. the default X-windows bagckground it a good focus pattern (1 pixel checkerboard pattern) but any screen full of text will do almost as well.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen Betts

Do you mean, like, give it an ice-cream cone, and then give it another? ;-P

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

that would go far to repleasing me! Make it chocolate. ;) karinne

Reply to
k wallace