Trimmer pots and resistance values

--- Depends.

If you need one end of the control to look like zero ohms and the other end to look like 1.5k, and the pot is wired like a rheostat, that's one requirement.

If it's wired like a voltage divider, that's another.

However, if all you need is a trimpot and all you can get is a

2.5kohm unit, and you need a rheostat, solder it in and trim it up until it looks like 1.5K and you should be fine.

If not, post back and I'm sure at least one of us will be happy to help you out.

-- John Fields Professional Circuit Designer

Reply to
John Fields

Hi, Max. I kind of wish you'd have given some more information on the circuit, and how your trimmer is being used.

Anyway, there are a number of things you can do. First, 2K is actually very common for trimmers -- check the Digi-Key catalog. Since many pots are rated at +/-20%, the high end of the tolerance might be close enough. You might want to try it.

Another thing you can do if it's being used as a voltage divider is to put a 5.6K 5% resistor across the legs of the pot. The total leg-to-leg resistance will then be almost 1.5K, and the wiper will scroll across the right voltage range.

.-----o | | | | .-. .-. 5.6K | | | |

Reply to
Chris

I need to get hold of a 1.5K trimmer pot for an old arcade game monitor but cannot find one of this value anywhere. Seeing as it's essential that I use 1.5K but the closest that I can find is 1K or

2.5K, is there any way that I could modify, for example, a 1K pot with a 0.5K resistor to give the correct value, or won't that work seeing as it would be external to the pot and wiper?
Reply to
max-man

well... mouser doesn't carry that pot... 1k's and 2k's... but digikey has several 1.5k pot's... you will have to pick the wattage...

keyword: "potentiometer 1.5k"

Reply to
gigabite1123

Thanks. I should have said that all three pins of the pot are used so I assume that makes the pot value even more critical?

Reply to
max-man

Thanks, I'll have a look. :)

Reply to