Resistance Light and Dark Values

What specifically do these terms mean for a LDR?

Resistance (Dark): 1M?

Resistance (Light): 12k?

Reply to
AK

I forgot to state that it is Cadmium Sulfide (CdS) Photocell.

Features:

Resistance (Dark): 1M? Resistance (Light): 12k? Lead length: 1.44"

Reply to
AK

Dark= no light Light = >= 10 or 100lux

Reply to
Look165

Light dependent resistors change resistance with light. 1,000,000 ohms when dark 12,000 ohms when light shines on it. (but those are just nominal values)

Reply to
default

I am trying to get my laser alarm working.

No luck so far.

I am wondering if the cadmium photo cell may be the problem?

Maybe I need an LDR that responds to light quicker.

Andy

Reply to
AK

They're not slow. Do you have a meter to measure the resistance while you illuminate it with your laser? It may not be interested in that wavelength of light.

Reply to
Wolf Bagger

Yeah, they're slow. Not seconds, but dramatically slower and less well-behaved than photodiodes or even phototransistors.

Using a CdS or CdSe cell is very rarely the right answer. If you modulate the light source and detect the AC at the other end with a photodiode, transimpedance amp, and synchronous detector, you can easily make an 'electric eye' that works fine in direct sunlight.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

range.

Reply to
Look165

You really can't beat a photodiode, though.

Cursitor Doom

rating

Does anyone know of an alarm circuit that they have made and works?

I have tried 2 different circuits and both have failed.

Andy

Reply to
AK

Please put the resistance meter on your LDR and give use the resistance Dark and then with laser light on it. You will need to change the scale between the two measurements. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Yes, it can. A photodiode takes time to turn on or off, about the same a LDR takes. LDR are reversible, standard photodiodes are only one way.

Reply to
Look165

A fast photodiode will respond in picoseconds. Even slow ones are in the tens-of-nanosecond range if used with the right transimpedance amp.

They're also highly linear and stable, neither of which is true of CdS cells.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
https://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

For an alarm, do you care to 10ms for instance ?

Reply to
Look165

perating

In the dark, .83 on the 2M scale.

With laser, .3 on 2k scale. From a distance of 6 feet.

So, 830,000 and 300 ohms.

Andy

Reply to
AK

Of course not, but you gave Bad Info about photodiodes, who are sort of friends of mine. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
https://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

A bad friend which act only in one way !

Reply to
Look165

Photo diodes are much much faster than CDS- LDR's. Even faster than photo transistors. To get the most speed out of diodes and photo transistors it depends on current and biasing. Over-drive the piss out of them and they slow down a bit.

But for his application, with an un modulated light source, a CDS photocell is fast enough, especially with the 555 circuit he was building where it is directly coupled to the 555. It should be able to meander all over the place in it's own sweet time and still trigger the alarm.

My gripe with CDS cells is their susceptibility to moisture. I live in a humid climate and these things will go bad just sitting in a parts drawer unless they are sealed in glass,

Reply to
default

No problem, stick two back to back.

When do you actually need bidirectional conduction? Audio or linear applications maybe, that's about it, and he's just looking for on-off control here.

Reply to
default

A LDR doesn't need power to operate !

Reply to