The Right PCB House

Hello,

I need to have a 4-layer board made, a prototype, 2 boards, nothing fancy. I did some research in this newsgroup and I narrowed it down to Sierra Pro Express, ExpressPCB, and AC Advanced Circuits. Do you think I made the right choice? Do you have any recommendations? I would like to receive the board 3-5 days.

T.I.

Reply to
Talal Itani

Hi,

I've had good experiences with Advanced Circuits (http://www.

4pcb.com/). Make sure to use their free FDM service (http://
even if you don't end up going with them for manufacturing.

ExpressPCB is only good for quick-and-dirty stuff. Their advantage is that they're cheap and their design software is pretty simple to use, but the big disadvantage is that it locks you in to their software. Also I've never done 4-layer stuff with them; I believe they're also kind of limited in that department. They're great for quick-and-dirty stuff though.

Regards,

-- Hauke D

Reply to
Hauke D

I have only ever used PCB express (NOT express PCB), and they have never steered me wrong. Nor have they caused problems that I know of for my one local client that uses them. They're fast, they're accurate, and if your board comes back with problems it's because you put them there.

I can't speak to any of the others -- they may be even better than PCB express (although there's not much room for improvement) or they may be horrid.

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Tim Wescott

So, there is PCBexpress, and expressPCB. Two different companies?

Reply to
Talal Itani

m/), even if you don't end up going with them for

y.

ro

ade the

like to receive the

I've used ExpressPCB for small projects before, but always 2-layer stuff. I've never had a problem with them, or their boards.

As for being "locked-in" to their software, for an extra $60 (last time I checked), they will send you the Gerber files. From there, you can import to many of the other programs avail.

Also, I recall hearing a while ago that a lot of these PCB prototype houses are all built at the same place anyway. So, while you might see 10 different company names (i.e., resellers), the boards themselves all come from the same place. Sorry, I don't remember the names of the companies involved, and don't know whether ExpressPCB is one of them.

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

Can ExpressPCB receive files from other PCB software?

I've used ExpressPCB for small projects before, but always 2-layer stuff. I've never had a problem with them, or their boards.

As for being "locked-in" to their software, for an extra $60 (last time I checked), they will send you the Gerber files. From there, you can import to many of the other programs avail.

Also, I recall hearing a while ago that a lot of these PCB prototype houses are all built at the same place anyway. So, while you might see 10 different company names (i.e., resellers), the boards themselves all come from the same place. Sorry, I don't remember the names of the companies involved, and don't know whether ExpressPCB is one of them.

-mpm

Reply to
Talal Itani

Yes.

No. (only netlists from schematic tools)

Hm, didn't know that. Still, it should be noted that ExpressPCB can't read Gerber files and one can only order from ExpressPCB through their software, so I'd still consider that being pretty locked in. Plus, if I wanted to spend a little extra money, I'd just go with something like EagleCAD and one of the other fab places anyways :) I'd still recommend ExpressPCB for any simple 2-layer designs where it's not important for your design to be portable; I've used them several times myself and it's quick and easy and decent quality. And I'm a big fan of "keep it simple" interfaces like their software is.

Regards,

-- Hauke D

Reply to
Hauke D

Talal Itani wrote: (Top posting fixed)

Yes, very different.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

even if you don't end up going with them for

the

So you have software that will go from a Gerber to a nicely laid out schematic?

That's impressive.

I use real tools to do my schematic capture and layout, and for no extra money I go to a regular PCB house to get boards.

(And PCB Express has it's own fab just 12 miles from me, so if I'm in a _real_ hurry I can pick it up and shave 8-12 hours off of the process).

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

Then if you need to make a little change it'll be another $60?

I have also used 4PCB, quite happy so far. They only messed up once (unapproved Gerber edits) but made good on that with an additional fast run, on the house. The nice thing is that I always have a real contact person there. She really helped us when they defaulted to this dreaded RoHS process which we absolutely did not want.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

One usually has to pay a premium for anything less than 10 days, and certainly for 3 days. Besids, transportation will take anywhere from 2 days to 5 days (total turn-around time). Are you Russian?

Reply to
Robert Baer

Absolutely!

Reply to
Robert Baer

even if you don't end up going with them for

the

ExpressPCB stuff comes from Mulino OR and at one time i knew the name of the "parent" company that will do much "fancier" boards.

Reply to
Robert Baer

They are not set up to do that. Send a query to their support smail address.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Well, there are Gerber editors...

Reply to
Robert Baer

Not much differnce between tin/lead solder on pads and silver plate

*IF* one is not going above (say) 150C. Tin/lead solder and tin/silver solders act esentially the same, so what is the beef?
Reply to
Robert Baer

No.

Reply to
Talal Itani

Non-RoHS parts on a RoHS PCB usually isn't a good idea.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Very frowned upon in industry and (usually) off limits in medical. It's like printing out a picture, editing it with white-out and scanning it back in. You typically lose the documentation trail. IOW your original CAD file no longer matches the product.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.