+/- supply frm single chip

why sir???dnt we hv any chip for this ??

[ Middle posting ;) ]

What you apparently want is to go from 20V (whether AC or DC has not been specified] to 3 outputs:

+5V, +12V and -12V

Assuming it's 20Vdc in, there may be triple supply switchers out there that can do buck and invert in the same device, but I personally don't know of any (and I don't feel ike looking through catalogues on Sunday either).

Alternatively, you would be looking for a dual linear with a switched cap inverter (not a particularly good choice for precision electronics, incidentally), and once more I don't know of any.

Given that using switchers will necesssarily increase your component count by a minimum of two inductors, you would be better off using 3 devices with the associated input and output caps (which you will need with any supply).

If your input is AC, you'll need a rectifier in front of it as well (as all the others here could tell you).

Txltn: Wht u apprntly wnt is 2 go frm 20V (whthr AC or DC hs nt bn spcfd] 2 3 otpts:

+5V, +12V -12V

Assmn it's 20Vdc in, thr my be trpl spply swtchrs avlbl that cn do bck and nvrt in th sm dvc, but I prsnlly dnt knw of ny (nd I dnt fl lk lkng thru catlgs on Sndy ethr).

Altrntivly, u wld be lkng 4 a dl lnr with a swtchd cap nvrtr (nt a prticly gd chce for prcsn lctrncs, ncdntly), nd once mre I dnt knw of ny.

Gvn tht usng swtchrs wll ncsarly incrs ur cmpnt cnt by a mn of 2 ndctrs, u wld be bttr ff usn 3 dvcs with th assctd npt nd otpt caps (whch u wll nd wth an spply).

If ur npt is AC, u'll nd a rctfr in frnt of it as wll (as ll th othrs hre cld tll u).

Cheers

PeteS (Practicing language skills)

Reply to
PeteS

No.

Learn to bottom post.
Reply to
John Fields

So i think it'll be better for me 2 use 7805,7812 & 7905...instead of searching for a single chip....thnx for help

PeteS wrote:

Reply to
aaryaluv

*Why* FFS does it have to be *ONE chip* ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

A while back, there used to be linear regulator ICs which would provide a tracking split supply. However, they required extrernal transistors, and other components.

The 78XX and 79XX regulators are simplicity itself, and due to volume, they're incredibly inexpensive. If they do the job, why not just use four TO-92 or TO-220 packages?

By the way, please bottom post. Since you're a Google person, please read Google Groups Help Topic "What's good 'netiquette' when posting to Usenet?"

Good luck Chris

Reply to
Chris

I'm curious. Would it be possible to use a voltage divider and an optoisolator to get the +/- supply?

Reply to
Abstract Dissonance

NO

Reply to