IC Power Supply

Hey,

I'm undertaking a project in college to build a Motorolla 68k system. Because of this, I've recently become interested in constructing IC circuits (TTL) . Now, I need a power supply to do so. Will a 1-15V variable 2.5A dc power supply be sufficient or do I need an AC supply?

Also, digital electronics aside, am I missing out a great deal by not having an AC supply?

Moikel

Reply to
Moikel

I too am missing something.

A 68k system will need 5 volts, TTL circuits needs 5 volts.

OK, where are you going to connect an AC power supply ???

If you need one, get it. Other wise wait till you need one !

donald

Reply to
Donald

I assume you are designing TTL circuits into you project not actually construction a TTL circuit

Why would you need a AC supply? Again assuming you mean a supply that puts out a variable source of AC voltage.

-- Dan Hollands

1120 S Creek Dr Webster NY 14580
Reply to
Dan Hollands

If you need to ask this, I don't have much faith in your project's prospects.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

only having to rectify and filter it to get a DC supply

About all AC is good for is driving transformers (and powering AC devices)

--

Bye.
   Jasen

Hay. Well, like the others said, but you actually want a 5VDC supply. The current you need is going to depend on how much you put into this project. A

5V only supply will have less possible causes of errors than a variable supply. It should plug into your mains supply and give that (5V) output. If you think you'll have other things powered off it (say, analog circuitry) you might want a supply with +/- 12VDC out as well, or maybe a variable output as well as the 5V.

Examples:

for a triple-output bench supply, or
if you just want a 5VDC only supply.

A search on the different types of supplies may be instructive.

Cheers.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor