3v 50A diode laser power supply

Dear All, As a part of a project I need to design a 3v (or 4V) 50A power supply. This power supply will be part of a diode laser. Can Anybody help me out. Any references? Thanks in Advance

Reply to
recoder

a PC power supply can probably handle that.

Colin =^.^=

Reply to
colin

dear you can make it by using +3 ...0..-3 transformer .thenfull wav rectifier (four 4n001 diode and then 7903 (regulator ic))total cost will not exeed 50 r.s. if you need i will send you ckt it will work

Reply to
chauhanartendra

SEE:

Review of Scientific Instruments Volume 69, number 6 June 1998 Saam and Conradi

"Protection Circuitry for High Power Diode Arrays"

Also SEE:

Scientific Instrument s Volume 74 Number 8 August 2008

"Laser diode current controller with a high level of protection against electromagnetic interference" Josef Lazar, Petr Jedlicka, Ondrej C p, and Bohdan Ruzicka

You need a 50 amp constant current source, not just a power supply, that supply must start up softly with no overshoot in current or voltage and no spiking, or you will destroy the diode(s). The above two journal articles give basic large diode protection schemes.

Steve Roberts

Reply to
STEVE ROBERTS

No, it will not...

The OP could check out the application notes for the low voltage synchronous polyphase / multiphase buck regulators (as used in on-board supplies on PC motherboards).

--

John Devereux
Reply to

It's more like a 50mA power supply.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Well I did think it might be a typo! But it is repeated in the title and the body of the post, so I decided to take the OP at his word.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

4001 diodes handling 50A -hehe dear- oh dear..
Reply to
stevebraddock

That sounds like a lot of amps for a diode. This a water cooled IR cutting laser, or do you just need a 50 amp short duration pulse?

Newsgroups
default

Humm, how big is this laser unit? I mean, that's almost enough power to etch :) are you sure it isn't more like 50 ma's ?

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5
Reply to
Jamie

SNIPPED. Oprah this, money that, Telly this, Loot that.

Bloody loony.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

Sure it will. Likely have huge ripple as well.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

Will the spam never stop? Does anybody realize that 4000 series diodes handle 1 amp and a 7903 - if they exist- handle 1.5 amps negative voltage..sheesh..why am I even staying up this late to put this bullshit up when I could be sleeping,,I dont know,, Bye yall now..

Reply to
stevebraddock

It's just numbers. It's like we have numbers arsing from the requirement, probably in some arbitrary and clueless way, then we have stock components with their numbers. So all you have to do is match them all up and find a diarrhea-gram showing how to "hook" it all up. The project is finished when a half-assed bench check convinces the confused that the circuit is "doing what it's s'posed to do"- I really luv that one, it sort of imparts a Biblical discipline to the process,"doing what it's s'posed to do"- a person can get drunk on self-satisfaction with making it all come together like that.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

So, brainiac... tell us why MOBO makers all use switchers for low level logic voltages, such as 3.3V, when all they need is your transformer/full wave bridge/regulator solution?

I'll tell you why, dipshit... RIPPLE!

And in case you were drunk or half asleep when you chimed in with your bullshit, the OP is looking for 50AMPS, idiot!

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

Just so you know, I thought you were the dolt that suggested the transformer solution.

Calling my reply spam does make you a retarded f*ck asshole, though, if that is what you were doing.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

This is a typical supply requirement for the pump laser diode for a yag laser, or the diode used in a platemaker, hes looking at maybe 20 watts of laser output if its a pump diode or about 60 watts of direct diode output, those numbers may be slightly optimistic. Solid state diode laser arrays of 500 watts output power are not unheard of these days, so.... 50 mA is more typical of a laser pointer, but yes, he's asking to pump a large array of diode chips.

Steve Roberts

Reply to
osr

Reply to
recoder

well ok, that makes much more sense. it would of lesson the confusion if the poster would of indicated the used of diode arrays.

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5
Reply to
Jamie

Ok, now that you have cleared that up.

I don't know where your expertise lye, so i'll point you here to start with:

That is a very basic current limiter add on to an existing supply. After looking at that for a bit, you could then start with something like a basic computer switching power supply that has a

5 volt output as the base input to a current regulator. by using large wattage and low value current sense resistors along with high current transistors, you'll have your current limiter. Using the URL as a reference, if you need to pulse this signal. Just look at R1. There are better and tighter methods of current regulation how ever. The use of an op-amp via the (+) and (-) inputs shunted with a current sense resistor will give you an extremely sharp current response to fold back the voltage on the driving circuit.

Something to think about.