Stranding?

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 10:17:28 +0800, in message , "John Riley" scribed:

To me, "red" and "blue" are synonymous, and that is all that counts.

Reply to
Alan B

A bit sensitive, are we? At least all our scientific endeavours, (and per capita, these excced those of the US), use a consistent and logical system of units. That was my point, what was yours?

Reply to
John Riley

Well you have a problem, because none of your dictionaries agree with you, whereas, all mine agree with me.

Reply to
John Riley

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 21:17:13 +0800, in message , "John Riley" scribed:

You have access to all of my dictionaries? How'd you do that?

Reply to
Alan B

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 13:17:12 GMT, in message , "John Riley" scribed:

No, merely pointing out the absurdities of your statements.

My point is that you are rude and ignorant, and assume that those burdened with using the SAE system are also proponents of its continued use. Of what value is it to berate an entire population based upon its required adherence to an imposed system of measurement? Outside proving yourself a boor, of course.

Reply to
Alan B

You really don't know? They are all public documents, you realise. So now why don't you show us what a smart arse you are and mention the dictionary that lists red and blue as synonyms?

Reply to
John Riley

I didn't see any absurdity you pointed out. Could you do it again? One of your shuttles had problems because of confusion with different units, didn't it?

All the other sci groups I have read use modern metric units. They are predominantly American. What is forcing you to adhere to old antiquated, confusing and patently dangerous unitary systems? I was not being rude, I was commenting on some laborious explanation about wire gauges that was written here. Isn't it about time we ditched this silly old system?

Reply to
John Riley

If you're not living in the United States its really none of your bsuiness, is it?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

You have no idea about my background. The term "Mil" has been in use in the US for a long time, even before electricity was available, and needed wiring. It is is used in figuring tax levels. A "Mil" is one tenth of a cent. Like I said, we aren't handicapped by the metric system. We use it where we need to, but no one who lives outside the US has any business telling us what to do with our internal standards. Next, I'm sure that you'll tell me that no one outside the US will by anything with SAE hardware? I worked on over a half million dollars of Telemetry electronics sold to the Italian government that was all SAE.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Usenet is certainly my business, (and every citizen of the world who chooses to use it), so yes, it is my business.

Reply to
John Riley

OK, I've read enough of your ignorant posts. PLONK.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Did I say I had? I remember asking a question....

And where have you used a tenth of a cent for the last several decades? This meaning is not noted in the American Heritage Dictionary Ed 3 that I just consulted, and so unless it is back in vogue, I suggest it has dropped off the radar of usage surveys

It would handicap you? It poses no problems to most American scientists. Do you have learning difficulties?

You don't see a need to catch up with the rest of the world? I'm sure that most American scientists would strongly disagree with you.

Not much need for it. The Japanese/Korean/Chinese etc manufacturing giants all use metric units.

Which Italian govt was that? :)

Reply to
John Riley

The famous dummy* spit. I always laugh when folks say PLONK. Reminds me of the two-year-old who says "Look, Mommy, I've done number twos in the potty!" If you are not going to read anymore, why not just stop reading? Can't control your base urges? :)

*I believe you might call it a pacifier?
Reply to
John Riley

I very carefully and deliberately refrained from saying that (in very nearly those exact words) when that post first showed up. Why? 'Cause I just *KNEW* somebody else was gonna do it :)

--
Don Bruder - dakidd@sonic.net - If your "From:" address isn\'t on my whitelist,
or the subject of the message doesn\'t contain the exact text "PopperAndShadow"

Guess you ought to tell that to the folks working on the millage elections - The ones where we vote on how many *mil*s - or fractions of a cent - get levied against the value of our property to fund the local schools, fire department, city services, etc. Where I grew up and learned of such things, 1 mil was (and still is, to the best of my knowledge) 1 cent of tax per thousand dollars of property value, so if the vote was to raise the millage to 13.5, you'd pay 13.5 cents per thousand dollars of assessed value.

Oh, and those elections? They happen about... Oh... Every year, give or take a week. And have since before I had any inkling what they were.

Just a little "goodbye" note as I add you to the killfile for being yet another raving dipshit more interested in picking nits than being a useful human being. B'bye!

--
Don Bruder - dakidd@sonic.net - If your "From:" address isn\'t on my whitelist,
or the subject of the message doesn\'t contain the exact text "PopperAndShadow"
ever knowing it arrived. Sorry...  for more info
Reply to
Don Bruder

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 13:48:14 GMT, in message , "John Riley" scribed:

No, thank you.

I haven't a clue. Why don't you pose the question to a pertinent newsgroup?

Ah, yeah, but you seem to fail to see the point that in the United States, if we choose to use wire in electronic construction, then we are pretty much limited to speaking in terms that the vendors, engineers and technicians we deal with, are familiar with.

Nothing forces me, but if I want to be understood when discussing wires with the technicians and electricians I work with every day, I'd be in piss poor shape in my relations with them if I insisted on using metric terminology. Thus, I choose to speak their language. If I were an engineer in Italy, I'd speak the language of Italian craftsmen.

You most certainly were being rude, and sanctimonious as well. Trust me, I know, because I can be a rude and sanctimonious as anyone I know.

We? I thought you were in Australia, where all is right with the world and the metric system? Hey, I'm all for switching, but it isn't up to me, you see? Which is why it is pointless for you to berate participants of the group for speaking the language with which we must converse on a daily basis. So, feel free to either accept that simple fact, or preach on, brother!

Reply to
Alan B

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 15:26:41 GMT, in message , "John Riley" scribed:

That's an excellent question. In addition to the tax levy structure mentioned by Mr. Bruder, our benevolent gasoline and diesel fuel providers have been blessed with being allowed to add an absurd 0.9c to the price of each gallon (argh, there's that damned English system again!) of fuel that they sell. So, we use these blasted tenths of cents every single day. Again, there isn't anything we can do about it, so of what value is it for you to ridicule the ridiculous in this newsgroup? What do you hope to accomplish?

Reply to
Alan B

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 21:36:09 +0800, in message , "John Riley" scribed:

No, they are not.

Reply to
Alan B

I've not heard anything since the successful scramjet tests...

:)

--

Bye.
   Jasen

"Don Bruder" wrote

Don't you mean MILL ??? Try a dictionary. You are talking about an entirely different word!

Picking nits???

I read:

__________________________ "> So it said in the pdf file: Coax AWG = 22

22 is the equivalent gauge of the resulting bundle of fibers. I.e. a 22 gauge solid wire and a 22 gauge stranded wire, would be about the same overall diameter.

"Gauge" isn't like "diameter". Bigger gauge numbers mean smaller wire. Wire wrap wire is 30 gauge. Breadboard wire is around 22 gauge. House wire is around 12 gauge. The mains coming into my house are 0000 (really thick) gauge. " ________________________________

And commented thus in a public forum:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "Which begs the question, when are you guys going to join the rest of the world and talk about cross sectional area of conductor in square millimeters? This way you can merely measure the diameter of a strand in an unknown conductor, multiply by the number of strands, and voila!" ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And what was I confronted with?

=============================== No, it _raises_ the question. To "beg the question" is to use your original premise to prove your point:

American Wire Gauges have used "circular mils" for conductor cross-sectional area since there has been an American Wire Gauge.

And please, learn to bottom-post. " =================================

So who is oversensitive, argumentative, rude and nitpicking? BTW, the nitpicking website shows that I am right and the nit picker is wrong, Go figure!

Goodbye, sensitive petals.

Reply to
John Riley