measuring a reference signal

What is the best device for measuring a reference signal (i.e. 10 MHz) to verify it's accuracy?

Thanks.

Reply to
mike7411

The best is a frequency counter with an external cesium beam frequency standard for a reference. Make sure that you're wearing a seat belt when you check the prices.

On the other hand, you can do fairly well with any decent counter with a good internal timebase.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell
** Groper alert !

** A digital frequency counter, of course.

Even a basic model has 7 digits in the display.

Frequency accuracy with a standard internal crystal is about 1 or 2 parts per million.

Reply to
Phil Allison

A frequency counter, with or without an external reference clock depending on your needs. What is the spec of the reference signal you are trying to check? You'll need say an order of magnitude better spec on your frequency counter reference clock than the one you want to measure.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones