Stranding?

Can someone help me to explain the term "Stranding?

What does 7x30 mean? What is 7 and what is 30?

Thanks

Reply to
quanghoc

Trying to load that pdf hosed Mozilla on me, so I'm not certain what you're seeing, but I'd bet that they're saying "each conductor of the cable is made up of 7 strands of 30-gauge wire" - probably in a "6 twisted around 1" configuration.

--
Don Bruder - dakidd@sonic.net - If your "From:" address isn\'t on my whitelist,
or the subject of the message doesn\'t contain the exact text "PopperAndShadow"

It means the wire is made up of 7 individual copper strands, each 30 gauge, to make a 22 gauge wire. If you cut off some of the insulation and look at it, knowing the above, it will become obvious what it means.

"stranded" is like the opposite of "solid"; where the wire consists of a single piece of copper.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

I am not good at this by all mean.

So it said in the pdf file: Coax AWG = 22 What is 22 then?

Why 7 of 30 gauge make a 22 gauge? The number is smaller?

DJ Delorie wrote:

Reply to
quanghoc

--
It means the conductor is made by twisting seven strands of #30AWG
wire together.

22 is the equivalent gauge of the resulting bundle of fibers. I.e. a 22 gauge solid wire and a 22 gauge stranded wire, would be about the same overall diameter.

"Gauge" isn't like "diameter". Bigger gauge numbers mean smaller wire. Wire wrap wire is 30 gauge. Breadboard wire is around 22 gauge. House wire is around 12 gauge. The mains coming into my house are 0000 (really thick) gauge.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

Thank you all....

John P> > Can someone help me to explain the term "Stranding?

Reply to
quanghoc

Save a link to this page:

John Popelish

Here is a link to the AWG chart on my website:

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Which begs the question, when are you guys going to join the rest of the world and talk about cross sectional area of conductor in square millimeters? This way you can merely measure the diameter of a strand in an unknown conductor, multiply by the number of strands, and voila!

Reply to
John Riley

I always thought a "mil" was one thousandth of a litre. Short for millilitre. Our Bureau of Meteorology once chipped a weather reporter for using "mils" for millimetres of rain.

Reply to
John Riley

wire gauge numbers are backwards, bigger numbers mean smaller wires.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen

In this instance it means "milli-inch" or 0.001" diameter.

And please bottom-post.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

No, it _raises_ the question. To "beg the question" is to use your original premise to prove your point:

American Wire Gauges have used "circular mils" for conductor cross-sectional area since there has been an American Wire Gauge.

And please, learn to bottom-post.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

And please, Rich, learn to trim the quoted text.

(and why do you call it "bottom" posting, when your text is in the middle?)

Reply to
DJ Delorie

I thought this was universally called "thou". Confusing established nomenclature by using the same abbreviation to refer to more than one thing, or persisting with old and confusing nomenclature can hardly be helpful to world communication. It must confuse the hell out of your young guys trying to learn the business. Little wonder your space effort has problems :(

Reply to
John Riley

To me, it begs the question. If it does not for you, then you must use other words. To me, "begs the question" and "raises the question" are synonymous, and that is all that counts.

So when are you going to get rid of this archaic and confusing system, like the rest of the world has done long ago?

I've "learned" to bottom post probably before you had a computer, but this begs the question as to why you are so anal and rude to newcomers about this piddling little detail.

Reply to
John Riley

A "mil" is one thousandth of whatever. Its the way fractional inch measurements are made in the US. Its not my fault that you're stuck with that mind numbingly poor French system.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

No, thats "milli-" for one thousandth. It's actually from the Latin.

How very confusing for you. You have never worked in a scientific laboratory? There, a "mil" is ONLY used for ml, or millilitre, one thousandth of a litre. Calling things "a thousandth" must be akin to saying, "look at that 'brown' over there" ( referring to the brown cow, brown pig, brown field.... )

As I said, milli comes from the Latin for one thousand. We are not stuck, we chose. Yourself? What is your hangup with the French?

Just an simple example. You find a roll of unlabelled builders wire with lots of strands and you have a vernier caliper handy, how can you determine the size of the cable? My way is simple. Measure the diameter of a strand, count the strands, and do a small calculation. Do you not need a bunch of tables? And what is more mind numbing than the silly old SWG (British, that you copied and we ditched ages ago) where the size goes up and the number goes down, with no direct correlation?

Reply to
John Riley

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 02:10:29 GMT, in message , "John Riley" scribed:

So, how's that Australian space program coming along these days?

Reply to
Alan B